Take care of your furry friends with a dog life vest or floatation device!
Dogs really are a person’s best friend. They want to be with their humans every second of the day and would do anything for us. To show our appreciation for them, we should always try our best to protect and take care of them. However, many people fail to extend this protection to water-related activities. Even though most dogs can swim, that doesn’t mean they can swim for very long distances if they get stuck out at sea.
To give your dog the best protection possible when boating, fishing, or going to the beach, you must invest in a dog life jacket or life vest. Keep reading to learn about the best dog flotation devices on the market today. Additionally, our buyer’s guide lists the top things to look for when buying a dog life jacket for anyone who wants to know more about these products’ features.
Dog Life Jackets Comparison Table
Top 10 Dog Life Jackets:
- Float Coat Dog Life Jacket from Ruffwear
- Granby Splash Dog Life Jacket by Outward Hound
- Doggy Floatation Device from EzyDog
- Dog Lifesaver Preserver from Vivaglory
- Surf and Turf Dog Life Jacket from Kurgo
- Paws Aboard Swimming and Boating Dog Life Vest
- HAOCOO Dog Life Jacket
- PETCEE Dog Life Jacket
- Hurrta Dog PFD
- Premium Neoprene Dog Life Jacket from Vivaglory
Dog Life Jacket Reviews
While many of these dog life vests have similar features, pros, and cons, some nuances set them apart. Hopefully, this information will help you make the best possible purchase for both you and your dog.
Float Coat Dog Life Jacket from Ruffwear
First up, we have a dog water vest from a company that specializes in outdoor performance wear for dogs of all sizes. Of the options on our list, this is one of the most popular because it runs in all sizes, is adjustable, durable, and attractive. Consumers have rated it over 1,000 times on Amazon. A large proportion of reviewers even gave this model five stars. This model really sets the standard for how all dog life vests should be.
- Sizes from xx-small to x-large
- Adjustable Fit
- Durable Webbing
- Reflective Trim
- Four attractive colors
- Strong handle
- Supports the dog’s natural swimming position
- Fits dogs of all sizes
- Allows the dog to be easily seen and removed from the water if necessary
- Can easily be put on and taken off
- Some users reported quick wear and tear for larger dogs
- One of the more expensive dog floaties on the market
All in all, the vast majority of users greatly enjoyed this dog life preserver and thought that it was well worth the money.
Granby Splash Dog Life Jacket by Outward Hound
Next, is a much cheaper option from Outward Hound, a company that proudly manufactures all things dog. This product has earned itself the title of #1 bestselling dog life jacket. Over 4,000 people have taken the time to review it with overwhelmingly positive feedback.
- Dual rescue handles
- Sizes from x-small to large
- Two bright colors
- Secure Neck Float
- Two handles allow you to rescue your pup from the water easily
- Many sizes will enable this dog flotation device to fit nearly any dog
- Bright colors and reflective material helps you to spot your dog easily
- The neck float keeps your dog’s head above water at all times
- Low price
- Some people reported poor fit
- Not the highest quality materials
For those looking for an inexpensive way to give themselves some peace of mind when their dog is around the water, this is the perfect option.
- SIZING BASED ON GIRTH: Dogs come in all shapes and sizes. Whether your dog is short and stout or long and lanky, there's a dog life jacket fit for them. Available in sizes XS-XL and featuring adjustable straps, we've made it easy for you to choose a size that supports them based on their girth measurement. We recommend sizing up if the dog's girth size is on the higher end of this size.
- SPLASH WITH SAFETY: The Outward Hound Granby Splash life jacket for dogs is designed with bright colors and reflective accents to provide better visibility while swimming. A front neck float helps keep your dog's head above water whether they are a novice or experienced swimmer.
- NOVICE & EXPERIENCED SWIMMER-FRIENDLY: The Granby Splash dog life jacket is constructed with ripstop material that provides maximum buoyancy in the water without restricting movement on land. Adjustable straps and side release buckles provide a secure fit and neoprene belly band supports their chest and belly while getting their float on!
- MULTI-HANDLE DESIGN: Dual grab handles make it easy to restrain and lift your dog out of the water and provide easy access for a rescue should they get into trouble while swimming.
- PLAY IT SAFE: No pet accessory is indestructible. Do not leave with unsupervised pets. Remove and replace if damaged.
Doggy Flotation Device from EzyDog
This option comes from a company that specializes in dog collars and harnesses. As manufacturers of the Original Shock Absorbing Leash, this company is no stranger to innovation in the pet supply field.
- 50% more flotation material than many other dog swim vests
- Sizes from extra small to large
- Ergonomic, integrated grab handle
- Reflective piping
- Comes in bright red or yellow
- Sized to fit a wide variety of animals
- Easy to spot with bright colors and reflective material
- Sturdy grab handle allows for easy emergency rescue
- High price point
- Some users experienced breakage quickly
This dog life vest provides sufficient quality while still being affordable. The vast majority of users would recommend this model to a friend.
- BEST HIGH-PERFORMANCE FLOTATION DEVICE DOG LIFE VEST JACKET: Combining advanced manufacturing techniques and the highest performance materials available, our DFD is designed, and extensively tested, to give your dog the most ergonomic and comfortable fit possible.
- ADJUSTABLE DESIGN WITH 50% MORE FLOATION MATERIAL: Adjustable neoprene straps form an ergonomic, secure fit that keeps up with your dog. The EzyDog dog life vest flotation device uses superior durable construction and features up to 50% more flotation material than most other pet life jackets.
- ERGONOMIC INTEGRATED GRAB HANDLE: The integrated grab handle in our dog life vest provides and easy and secure way to handle your dog and makes it quick and easy to guide your dog into and out of the water.
- HIGHLY REFLECTIVE INTEGRATED TRIM: The highly reflective detailing designed into your EzyDog Doggy Flotation Device provide you with greater visibility and improved night time safety.
- CUSTOM SIZING FOR A PERFECT FIT: EXTRA SMALL (Extra Small) size fits dogs with a 10"-13" body length, a 19"-32" girth, and a weight of 15-25 pounds.
Dog Lifesaver Preserver from Vivaglory
Vivaglory makes many products for dogs and cats, but their dog swim vest is one of their specialties. At the time of writing, this product has the distinction of Amazon’s Choice, meaning that is highly-rated, well-priced, and ready to ship immediately.
- Sizes from extra small to extra large
- Many stylish colors and designs
- Upgraded 600D Oxford Cloth
- Reflective trim
- Strong grab handle
- Wide variety of sizes and colors to choose from to get the right fit and look
- Newly upgraded material is stronger
- Low price
- Reports of interfering with swimming
- Rips easier than some other brand
If you are looking to make a fashion statement and enhance your dog’s water safety without breaking the bank, then you should definitely consider this option.
- Measure Before Purchase: before choosing a size, please measure your dog's ribcage at the DEEPEST part; do NOT judge your dog's size from weight or other brands' standard; if your dog's measurement is between sizes, please choose the next size up
- Safety: Upgraded with ripstop 600D cloth, our patented design dog life jacket is more durable than normal ones. Built with extra padding, up to 50% more flotation keeping your pup safe in the water; Heavy-duty yet more comfortable fastening system around the belly and neck to keep securely fastened. Dogs are born to swim, life jacket is just an aid for them. Do not leave dogs alone in the water though wearing the safety vest
- Front Float and Reflective Trims: Removable front float assists in releasing your dog's neck pressure; Reflective detailing provides better nighttime safety and enhanced visibility in or out of the water
- Convenience: Strong grab handle on the top makes it easy to guide your dog into and out of water; Adjustable nylon straps and quick-release buckles ensure the perfect fit, bringing comfortable feeling to dogs and letting them swim freely in the water
- Caution: Dogs are born to swim, life jacket is just an aid for them. Do not leave dogs alone in the water though wearing the safety vest. If it's the first time that you dog wears a safety vest to swim, please train them to adapt to their new vest and never leave them alone in the water
Surf and Turf Dog Life Jacket from Kurgo
This dog flotation vest comes from a company that produces a wide range of dog travel and outdoor accessories. Founded by outdoor and dog-loving brothers in 2003, this company strives to make all their products adhere to the highest standards.
- Machine washable
- Two handles
- Reflective trim
- Sizes from extra small to extra large
- Doubles as a raincoat
- Lifetime warranty
- Easy to clean
- Allows for streamlined lifting of the dog
- Highly visible
- Versatile with usage as a dog life preserver and a raincoat
- Great warranty
- Higher price point
- Some reports of higher wear and tear than other brands
- Some users stated that the vest was ill-fitting
This pet life jacket is great for anyone who wants a solid option that is not the most expensive but still of good quality. Most users highly rated this dog PFD, even though it’s pricier than other options on this list.
- Doubles as Dog Jacket and Raincoat - This 2 season coat can be used as a life vest to assist your dog when in water or on a boat, and as a raincoat by removing floatation layer
- 2 Control Handles - Dog jacket has 2 transverse handles for quick control to extract dog from water when needed life vest for dogs is made of rugged ripstop material to withstand rough use
- Reflective Trim for Visibility - Bright colored life vest is visible from far distances and has reflective trim for nighttime visibility has 2 metal D-rings for leash connections includes attached bottle opener
- Size & Fit - Size Medium fits dogs with 24 to 32 inches girth, 18 to 27 inch neck refer to Kurgo Size Chart for all size details
Paws Aboard Swimming and Boating Dog Life Vest
This dog life jacket is brought to you by a company that produces a wide range of dog outdoor safety products. With over 15 years of experience, this company has learned a thing or two about how to create quality products for dogs. This flotation device is another option currently designated as Amazon’s Choice.
- Fun designs and colors
- Breathable, neoprene fabrics
- Mesh underbelly
- Sizes from xx-small to extra large
- Comfortable for dogs even in high temperatures
- Shows off the owner and dog’s style
- Can fit many different dog sizes
- Complaints of failure to keep dog upright
- Reports of poor material choice
Even though some users have reported that some dogs have difficulty adjusting to this model, enough people have endorsed it to make it at least worth checking out for yourself.
- Fido Pet Products-Paws Aboard Neoprene Doggy Life Jacket
- PAWS Aboard Pet Life Jackets and Designer Pet Life Jackets provide ultimate buoyancy and high visibility to keep pets safe in or around the water
- Constructed to provide buoyancy along with a cozy secure fit the PAWS Aboard Pet Life Jackets features
- Made in China
HAOCOO Dog Life Jacket
HAOCOO makes a wide range of products, including this adorable shark fin dog life jacket. This unique product sets itself apart from the pack with a design that combines both fun and safety. This is the perfect small dog life jacket for cute pooches.
- Unique, playful design
- Made from polyester, mesh, nylon, and cotton
- Large handle
- Quick-release buckles
- D-ring hook
- Reflective stripes
- Amusing design elements such as fins and tails allow you to show off your dog’s personality
- Low price point
- Convenient for getting on and off your dog quickly
- The large handle allows for easy water rescues
- Only available in small, medium, and large so it may not come in the appropriate size for your dog
- Customers reported prescribed size not fitting
If you are looking for a cute and fun way to enhance your four-legged friend’s safety around the water, then this small dog life vest should be your go-to. Not many of your friends will have a dog shark life jacket!
- MATERIALS: High grade Polyester Oxford & Nylon Fabric, Mesh Fabric, Pearl Cotton Foam. The oxford nylon fabric is ripstop, and the mesh fiber allow for quick drying and proper drainage.
- DIMENSION: Available for 3 sizes, from S to L, meet all sized dogs. Please refer to the dimension chart to choose the right size for your dog.
- CONVENIENCE: Adjustable belt and quick-release buckles to make your dog fit comfortably, easy to put on and take off. Handle on top for quick and easy grabbing. The Heavy-duty D-ring Hook is perfect for dog leash.
- SAFETY: The front float assists in keeping dog's head above water. Reflective stripes and bright colors to enhance maximum visibility.
- NOTE: If your measurement is between two sizes, we recommend the larger size for more comfortable fit about your dog. Please allow sight deviation of measurement data due to different measure methods.
PETCEE Dog Life Jacket
PETCEE focuses their products on dog winter coats and life jackets, like this popular model. Keeping dogs safe and comfortable is a top priority for this company. With PETCEE, expect a decent pet life vest.
- Rescue handle on top
- Secure neck float
- Reflective stripes
- Velcro and buckle fasteners
- Comes in sizes extra small to extra large
- Easy to wash
- Secure rescue handle allows for quick dog retrieval from the water
- Neck float helps to keep the puppy’s head above water
- Low price point
- Complaints about cheap materials
- Reports of low safety
This brand has a higher level of dissatisfaction than several others on this list; however, many users have still been quite pleased. It all depends on your opinion! If you don’t have the budget for a fancier model, then this may still be a good option.
- Size: XS,Chest girth: 12"~16.8". Please kindly read "HOW TO CHOOSE A CORRECT DOG LIFE JACKET" illustration and choose the right one.
- Safety：A resuce grab handle at the top, make ones in and out of danger more quickly.
- Advantage of design: Secure neck float keep relax on the swimming. Reflective stripe can identify at night.
- For Detail: Durable velcro fastening system, adjusttable nylon straps and quick release buckle ensure swimming vest, is suitable and safety.
- Material: Oxford clothes, green foam board and smooth lining, easy to wash and clean.
Hurrta Dog PFD
This Finnish company started making cold-weather gear for their four-legged friends and has since branched out into dog flotation devices as well. The parent company, Best Friend Group, has worked hard in the last few decades to become an internationally diversified supplier of pet safety products.
- Lightweight materials
- Bright colors
- Additional padding on the back and chest area
- Large, sturdy handle
- Allows for freedom of movement
- Strong handle allows for better control of your animal
- Extra padding enhances flotation capabilities
- High-quality material
- Sizes based on weight to ensure proper fit
- More expensive than some other options
This option is close to the best dog life vest on Amazon. However, you will need to pay a pretty penny for the quality it provides. If you have the means, this one should definitely be on your list.
- NO TWO DOGS ARE THE SAME - Don’t guess on the size. Use the size chart along with the “Measuring Your Dog” size guide. The weight of your dog is the most important for the Life Savior
- USES - Ideal for swimming, water rescue, rehabilitation, boating and hunting
- SAFETY – The back padding is designed to keep your dog upright and the extra padding across the chest keeps your dog’s head out of the water
- FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT - The special design makes the vest very light. Because of the light design of the vest it allows for free movement for your dog in the water and on land
- HANDLE - The back is equipped with a sturdy handle which gives you better control of your dog in emergencies
Premium Neoprene Dog Life Jacket from Vivaglory
The final entry on our list is another product from Vivaglory. This model is a little more advanced than the previous selection. Made from body-conforming neoprene, this choice is made from premium materials for additional security and comfort.
- Vibrant colors
- Made from body-conforming neoprene
- Large, simple buckles
- Extra layers of flotation
- Rescue handle and D-ring
- Great visibility
- High levels of comfort and maneuverability for your dog
- Easy rescue with the large handle
- Floats extremely easily
- Some customers experienced issues with fit
- Some reports of seams coming apart
Overall, this dog life jacket is a great option for protecting your pup in the water. It’s got great reviews, with pet owners reporting that their dog was happy wearing it and they felt satisfied of their safety.
- MEASURE BEFORE PURCHASE: before choosing a size, please measure your dog's ribcage at the DEEPEST part; do NOT judge your dog's size from weight or other brands' standard; if your dog's measurement is between sizes, please choose the next size up
- SUPERIOR BUOYANCY: this dog life jacket is constructed with premium neoprene material and extra built-in flotation layers to enable strong buoyancy in the water without restricting your dog's movement
- COMFORT & DURABILITY: neoprene material makes this dog life vest more body conforming for maximum comfort and look less bulky than older styles; exquisite sewing process and thicken material ensure it for long time use
- STYLISH & ATTRACTIVE: bright colors and unique reflective elements not only make your dog look fashionable, but also enhance your dog's visibility in water, keeping your dog safe
- FASTENING SECURELY: fastening system around belly keep the flotation vest securely on your dog. Adjustable straps and quick-release buckles around belly and neck ensure perfect fit for your dog
Buyer’s Guide for Dog Flotation Devices
Dog life jackets are a necessity for anyone who loves to enjoy water activities with their four-legged friend. However, it can be quite challenging to discover which vest will work best for you. Here are the most critical features and aspects you need to consider before making your purchase.
Size and Fit
Not everyone pays close attention to sizing, assuming that a “small” will fit a petite puppy and a “large” will suit a bigger canine. However, every company structures their dog sizing differently. Be sure to consider each company’s sizing plan before making your purchase. Just because your dog is small, it doesn’t necessarily mean that a small jacket will fit them.
Carefully check the measurements of a product before purchasing. This will reduce the likelihood that you will have to return the product or buy another one from another company.
Some materials are more durable than others. If you invest in a device that contains higher quality materials, then it is unlikely that you will have to replace it soon. You should also think about whether the materials will dry quickly. Your dog is much more likely to be comfortable if they are not sopping wet well after they have left the water. Neoprene is a commonly used material that dries fast and protects all sized animals.
While your dog probably won’t be walking down the runway in their life jacket, the appearance still matters. Think about going with a color and design that reflects your dog’s personality. Some models even come with shark fins or tails. Other providers offer vests with camo or other patterns that will make your dog to look fabulous in pictures.
Price is always a factor in any purchase decision process. Most dog floaties range in price from $15 to $100.
There are many on the market for $15-$25 and then another cluster from $50-80. While there are decent options at every price point, depending on how much you intend on using the life jacket, you may want to dish out the extra cash.
The more expensive models tend to be made out of sturdier materials with more features than less pricey options. But, considering these are safety devices, it’s worth spending a bit more for ease of mind that your pet is safe in the water.
If you lose your dog in murky water, you will want to make sure that you can locate them as quickly as possible. A brightly colored life vest with reflective stripes or piping can greatly help.
In certain situations, visibility is a life or death issue that you should take seriously when choosing your dog safety jacket.
Ease of Rescue
If you do happen to lose your dog overboard, you will want to ensure that you can rescue them swiftly. Consider purchasing life vests with large, sturdy handles on the back so that you can easily grab your dog in an instant.
A fun day out on the boat could quickly turn into a tragedy if this handle is weak or prone to tearing. Don’t overlook this crucial dog life jacket feature.
Many people like keeping their dogs on a leash while they are wearing their life preserver. If you think you may want to do this, then consider getting a product that has a D-ring to clip your leash to. This feature will ensure that your dog always stays close.
We all know that dogs love getting into all kinds of messes. This playful behavior is unlikely to stop when they are wearing a life jacket, so you need to ensure that the one you buy can be cleaned easily.
There are a few options out there that are machine washable, while others need to be washed by hand. Keep that in mind when making your decision. If you absolutely hate hand washing things, then you may want to opt for a machine wash variety.
Dogs will hate wearing a life vest that restricts their movement. Pay attention to the products’ ratings on both land and water maneuverability, as well as impressions of the company as a whole.
Ensure that the life jacket allows for natural running and movement before taking to the water so that you know your dog can move properly while wearing it. Stiff and restricting life vests can actually be dangerous. If your dog cannot swim properly, then the very device that is supposed to protect them could actually cause serious harm.
Which Protective Vest is Best For Your Dog?
All these features factor into whether a life jacket will work for your dog. Pay attention to customer reviews, but ultimately it is up to you to decide what you think will work best. Keep in mind that some reviewers may have used the product incorrectly or ordered the wrong size, and subsequently left a poor review.
Hopefully, the above information will help you find a dog life vest that will keep your dog protected no matter what adventures you undertake together.