For those who like to inject some adventure into their lives, kayaking can be a fantastic hobby as it brings excitement for all ages. When it comes to purchasing your kayaking equipment, one of the key components are the paddles.
The quality of the paddles is going to be the difference between you having a successful or unsuccessful experience when you use your kayak.
Whether you are a keen kayak enthusiast or just starting out, making sure you purchase a good set of kayak paddles is going to ensure that you have the best experiences every time you go out on the water.
Top 5 Fishing Kayak Paddles
- Pelican Aluminum Kayak Paddles 87-Inch
- SeaSense Kayak Paddle
- SeaSense X-Treme 1 Kayak Paddle
- Carlisle Magic Plus Kayak Paddle
- KERDITOO Kayak Paddles
Pelican Aluminum Kayak Paddles 87-Inch
Our top recommendation is the Pelican Aluminum Kayak Paddles 87-Inch which are made from extremely sturdy materials.
With an anodized aluminum shaft and polypropylene blade that provide maximum resistance and durability, you can be assured that these paddles are the best option to expand your skill set and become a true kayaking enthusiast.
With drip rings that help to keep your hands dry, these paddles are a fantastic choice for those who want to be on the water for long periods of time as the ergonomic design is comfortable and reduces any fatigue.
With angle adjustments available, you can have more control and stability.
- Made with an anodized aluminum shaft and polypropylene blade that provide maximum resistance and durability
- An ideal paddle for recreational kayakers
- Angle adjustments available so you can have more control and stability
- Can be a bit too heavy for children to use
SeaSense Kayak Paddle
Our third choice is the SeaSense Kayak Paddle which features a feathered blade design that provides stability and durability.
The feathered design is extremely lightweight and makes rowing through the water easily.
The paddle is made from a two piece construction that makes it incredibly simple to set up and ideal for travelling and storing away when not in use.
With adjustable drip guards, you won’t have to worry about discomfort while paddling as your hands will remain dry.
The advanced material and technology in the paddle makes it float should it fall into the water.
A great choice for beginners who want a lightweight design that is easy to use, SeaSense’s Kayak Paddle will see you through.
- The feathered design is extremely lightweight and makes rowing through the water easily
- The paddle is made from a two piece construction that makes it incredibly simple to set up and ideal for travelling and storing away when not in use
- With three locking positions, you can set the paddle to your preference as well as be assured that the paddle won’t fall apart while being used
- The grips can twist after long periods of use
SeaSense X-Treme 1 Kayak Paddle
Our third choice is another option from SeaSense and is their X-Treme 1 Kayak Paddle which is a great choice for more advanced kayakers.
With the basic two piece structure, this paddle simply clicks together and is ready to use. When it is not in use, simply disconnect the parts and store away which makes it perfect for travelling to and from the water.
With an aluminum shaft, this paddle is extremely durable and reliable for long periods of time and the lightweight, black molded plastic blades make rowing incredibly easy and the large span allows you to paddle even further than a regular paddle.
Whether you want to go on a longer and quicker journey or want to casually take your time, this paddle will withstand any kind of kayaking trip.
If the paddle falls in the water, it will float meaning that you needn’t worry about having to splash out more cash on a replacement.
- With an aluminum shaft, this paddle is extremely durable and reliable for long periods of time and the lightweight, black molded plastic blades make rowing incredibly easy
- The ergonomic design means that you will have reduced chances of fatigue
- With foam rubber grips, the paddle will shape itself to your grip for maximum comfort
- Needs tightening before every use to prevent it from splitting while rowing
Carlisle Magic Plus Kayak Paddle
Our penultimate selection is the Carlisle Magic Plus Kayak Paddle which has glass filled polypropylene blades that are both lightweight and durable.
The asymmetrical, slightly curved blade shape helps to produce smooth and efficient strokes for easy movement.
The wrapped fiberglass shaft is both lightweight and strong and the ergonomic design makes it extremely comfortable to hold in all temperatures for long periods of time without feeling fatigue.
The flex in the fiberglass shafts provides a strong paddle stroke whilst also reducing stress on your joints.
- The asymmetrical, slightly curved blade shape helps to produce smooth and efficient strokes for easy movement
- The ergonomic design makes it extremely comfortable to hold in all temperatures for long periods of time without feeling fatigue
- With a handy no fail push button which allows for both right and left handed control and sets the blades at 60 degrees or inline for more stability
- High price point
KERDITOO Kayak Paddles
Our last recommendation is the KERDITOO Kayak Paddles which are two 54” oars with ribbed blades for durability and performance that will propel you through the water with ease.
The ergonomic design ensures simplicity and comfortability which is ideal if you are going out on the water all day and with multiple combinations of paddle settings depending on your kayak model means that it can be adjusted for both adults and children.
Made with a sturdy corrosion resistant aluminum shaft which then disassembles into two pieces which can make transportation and storing a lot easier.
One of the most durable models on this list, the strong material means that you don’t have to worry about how the weather is going to affect the quality.
KERDITOO has thought of everything when it comes to the details in the design which means that it is perfect for hobbyists of all abilities and ages.
Sold at a great price point, this is one of the most accessible models on the market meaning that you don’t have to compromise your bank account for quality equipment.
- Have ribbed blades for durability and performance that will propel you through the water with ease
- The ergonomic design ensures simplicity and comfortability which is ideal if you are going out on the water all day
- Strong material means that you don’t have to worry about how the weather is going to affect the quality
- The connector is made from plastic so make sure not to tighten too hard
Best Kayak Paddle For Fishing Buying Guide
With these options, you should have a clearer picture as to what is the best model for you. However, if you are still undecided then there are some things to look out for during your research.
Always look at the materials, ergonomic design, extra features and the budget.
Once you have considered all of these, then you’ll be in a position where you can make a decision that you can feel comfortable with and you’ll get the most out of your kayaking experience.
The material of the paddle will indicate the product’s longevity. The best paddles will have an aluminum shaft which not only is durable and reliable but it will have the strength to glide through the water easily.
When it comes to the blades, you want something with a feathered, lightweight design that makes the experience comfortable whatever your ability is.
Following on from the materials of the paddle, always look at how the paddle has been ergonomically designed to ensure maximum comfort, especially if you are planning to go for long kayaking trips.
This will reduce any chance of fatigue and will allow you to have a fun experience without feeling any pain.
Whether it is from foam grips that shape to your own grip over time or an adjustable rowing angle, ergonomic designs allow you to have an experience that is shaped around you and your needs.
Thirdly, always look at the additional features that come with the paddle. For example, how do you set it up? Most paddles come with two components that are then twisted and tightened together to create one piece.
Other additional features that some paddles come with is the ability to float if it falls into the water as well as locking features to ensure that the paddle will remain in the position you want it in.
Lastly, you have to think about your budget. As with any sporting equipment, kayak paddles vary greatly in their price depending on the brand and the above factors.
The recommendations in our list show the best paddles at all price points proving that you don’t have to compromise your bank account for a quality paddle as well as showing what options are available if you want to splurge on the best.
How do you pick a kayak paddle?
To pick the right kayak paddle for you, always think about the length, materials, price, blade choice and shaft choice. Although this may take some time, it will ensure that you’re getting the maximum performance out of kayaking.
Kayaking can be quite an expensive hobby so you want to make sure that all of the equipment you buy is right for you to ensure that you are getting your money’s worth.
How dangerous is kayaking?
Kayaking has its risks like any sport with the main danger being that you will be out to the water. It’s always advised to wear a lifejacket for maximum safety and have basic swimming skills under your belt just in case.
Other things to be aware of are dehydration and sun exposure so make sure you dress accordingly and have a couple of bottles of water to drink.
Many people overlook how important a piece of equipment like a kayak paddle is when buying a fishing kayak. Hopefully, this guide will have answered all your questions about the best available fishing kayak paddles. Just make sure you get the right size!