Propane ice augers are growing in popularity for ice anglers. These augers are almost as powerful as gas augers, without the mess and harmful emissions produced by gas augers. Learn more about propane powered augers and find the best ice auger for your next trip!
Top 3 Propane Ice Augers
We’ve done the research and found the best propane augers on the market today. These ice augers are powerful, durable, and made with premium materials to cut through the ice.
These are the Best Propane Powered Augers for Ice Fishing:
Eskimo makes great ice augers, so it’s no surprise that their propane powered auger is also at the top of our lists. This auger uses a 40cc 4-cycle engine to swiftly cut through the ice. You won’t have to worry about priming the engine, as it has a convenient auto-prime fuel system. Low-maintenance carburetors and a blade protector ensure that this auger will last without much upkeep.
- 40CC, HIGH-COMPRESSION 4-CYCLE ENGINE: Specially designed for high-compression, with enough power to turn either an 8" or 10" auger bit with ease and minimal weight added to the unit
- QUANTUM AUGER: Ideal for re-drilling holes with its unique centering ring
- QUICK-RELEASE BOTTLE HOLDER: Holds readily available 1 lb. propane cylinder and easily connects and disconnects for convenient replacement
- NO PRIME FUEL SYSTEM: No more need to prime the engine before startup, just open the valve and pull the recoil to begin drilling
- LOW MAINTENANCE: No gummed up carburetors
The Propane Rocket Ice Auger is a close second, also made by renowned manufacturer Eskimo. This auger has a cast bottom for smoother cutting and breakthroughs on the ice. Its redesigned powerhead helps to protect the engine. With a streamlined, all-metal transmission, this ice auger is faster than ever. This propane auger is easy to operate and super powerful.
- 40CC, HIGH-COMPRESSION 4-CYCLE ENGINE: Specially designed for high-compression, with enough power to turn either an 8" or 10" auger bit with ease and minimal weight added to the unit.
- ROCKET AUGER: Features an aluminum cast bottom for smoother cutting and breakthrough.
- HIGH-SPEED, ALL-METAL TRANSMISSION: Streamlined transmission construction for increased speed.
- SHIELDING ALUMINUM HANDLEBAR DESIGN: Handlebar shape is designed to help frame and protect the powerhead, and foam coating helps comfortably absorb vibration.
- QUICK-RELEASE BOTTLE HOLDER: Holds readily available 1 lb. propane cylinder and easily connects and disconnects for convenient replacement.
The Jiffy Pro4 X-Treme Ice Drill has a powerful 49cc OHV four-stroke engine that is sure to get the job done. It’s safe to use in a shelter, and it cuts holes fast and with minimal effort. An aluminum-cased transmission makes this auger extra durable and strong, and wide-stance handles offer better control. Blade protectors as well as premium materials ensure that this auger will last.
Why Choose a Propane Ice Auger?
Ice augers are important pieces of ice fishing equipment. Propane ice augers are the latest in auger technology. While they are expensive, there are definite benefits to using a propane auger over gas, electric, or hand. The right auger for you depends on a few factors.
Propane augers are some of the most powerful, right up there with gas powered augers. If you’re looking to drill a lot of holes, big holes, or through thick ice, propane or gas are your two best options. Most professional ice anglers will use either gas or propane powered augers, as they tend to be the strongest.
Price is an important consideration – propane powered ice augers are some of the most expensive options on the market. If you’re only a casual ice fisher, a propane auger may not be for you, as they’re expensive and other augers will get the job done just as well. If you’re serious about ice fishing, a propane auger can be a great investment.
Ease of Use
One advantage that propane ice augers have over gas is that they are typically easier to use. This is because propane augers only need propane to run, and it typically comes pre-packaged to attach right to the auger. When you’re using a gas-powered auger, you have to mix gas and oil, which can get messy and difficult if you mix the wrong proportions.
Frequency of Use
If you only go ice fishing once a year, it’s probably not worth buying a propane ice auger. For those who are ice fishing very frequently or drilling big holes through thick ice, a propane auger may pack the right amount of power to make it a worthwhile purchase.
Propane is preferred over gas because it is a cleaner fuel to burn. Gas ice augers can have some negative environmental effects, and they’re messier to refuel. Propane, on the other hand, is a clean fuel recognized by the Clean Air Act.
Burning propane releases fewer harmful emissions compared to gas. Propane is also safe to burn in an enclosed space, so you can use your propane auger safely within an ice shelter, which you cannot do with a gas auger.
Find the Right Ice Auger For Your Needs
If propane is right for you, choose from our top 3 propane ice augers. If you’re still not sure which type of ice auger is best, check out the best ice augers by category: gas augers, electric augers, or hand-powered augers.
Be sure to follow all instructions and safety practices when using an ice auger to prevent injury. Make the most of your ice fishing trip with the best gear, found on Fishmasters.