Most anglers started their fishing careers casting with either a beginners setup like a spincasting combo or the ever popular spinning reel. This versatile and essential piece of fishing gear is much easier to learn than the complex baitcasting reels most pros use.
Don’t be fooled by it’s simplicity thought. Spinning reels come in many levels of sophistication. In this article we’ll help you choose the best spinning reel to fit your needs for this 2020 fishing season on the water.
Whether you are fishing light tackle for trout or heavy gear for trophy pike, spinning rods will get the job done and reel in your next catch.
Top Spinning Reels for 2020
If you want to skip the long read and cut to the chase, these our my top pick for best spinning reels this season.
These are the best spinning reels:
- Shimano Stradic Ci4+
- Abu Garcia Revo SX
- Penn Battle II
- Daiwa BG – Best Saltwater Spinning Reel
- Pflueger President – Best Spinning Reel for the Money
- Okuma Ceymar – Best Spinning Reel Under $50
- KastKing Sharky III – Best Spinning Reel Under $100
Spinning Reel Reviews
Shimano Stradic Ci4+
This is my overall favorite spinning reel for both saltwater and freshwater fishing because of it’s waterproof drag. Striking good looks, light weight with a solid feel, and an ultra smooth reeling experience combine to win the hearts of anglers around the world. Incorporating exciting concepts like Hagane gear, G Free Body, CI4+, X-SHIP, Core Protect, and the totally new Magnumlite Rotor which allows a super light feel when you turn the handle, the new Stradic CI4+ is built to last. This is a great reel for both beginners and experienced anglers.
- KeyFeature: Magnumlite Rotor
- Ball Bearings: 6
- Roller Bearings: 1
- Models Offered: 4
- 6+1 bearings
- Retrieve range 31-39 (in)
- 5.6-8.1 weight range (oz)
- Front drag
- 7-24 (lb) drag power range
- Gear Ratio: 5.0:1, Retrieve: Reversable, No anti-reverse switch.
- Line Capacity lb/yds: 6/200, 8/140, 10/120
- Line Retrieve: 28.70 inch / 73 centimeter
- Weight: 6.70 ounce / 190 gramm
- Bearings: 6 S A RB and 1 RB spare spool you can find here: ASIN: B01MG4XVWO, (Shimano item No.: RD17665)
Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel
The Revo SX takes cutting edge design to the next level. By utilizing an insert molded C6 (im-c6) carbon body design that incorporates a one piece aluminum gear box, the latest Revo SX is lighter than the previous generation while maintaining excellent rigidity. Improved gear feel and outstanding durability are the result of an all-new machined aluminum gear design. Choose from 6lb, 8lb and 10 pound models. This is a good spinning reel for both trout and bass fishing.
- 8 stainless steel hpcr Bearings + 1 roller bearing provides increased Corrosion Protection
- Amgearing System provides precision Machined gears for unparalleled smoothness and durability
- Computer optimized gear design allows for the most efficient gear System
- Carbon matrix Hybrid drag System for Super smooth reliable drag performance
- Im-c6 (insert molded C6) body design combines an x-crafty gearbox design with a C6 carbon body, which gives a lightweight construction that houses gears in perfect alignment
Penn Battle II
Check Price on Amazon
The Penn Battle II Spinning Reel is well known as one of the best spinning reels for salt and freshwater fishing, as a top-rated spinning reel that is also surprisingly affordable for its level of quality. It has five stainless steel ball bearings plus one anti-reverse bearing, all of which are sealed to prevent corrosion.
The spool on the Penn Battle II Spinning Reel has capacity rings and a rubber inlay, so braided line can be loaded directly. Its full metal body prevents wear, and a heavy-duty aluminum bail wire. It comes in a wide range of sizes, including 1000, 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, 8000. This is an all around quality spinning reel for all types of fishing. Larger sizes will have more drag power and line capacity.
- Durable, high range spinning reel ideal for conquering big saltwater game fish
- Full metal body, side plate, and rotor and heavy duty aluminum bail wire offer exceptional durability
- Multi stop anti-reverse and ball bearing deliver smooth performance
- Fluid cranking with 5 sealed stainless steel ball bearings and instant anti-reverse bearing
- Superline spool requires no backing, is braid ready, and has line capacity rings marked at 1/3, 2/3, and full capacity
Daiwa BG – Best Saltwater Spinning Reel
Daiwa BG is equipped with a machined aluminum body and body cover providing strength and internal part stability. To increase the strength in the form of corrosion and scratch resistance, Daiwa has Black Anodized the body and body cover. The anodization process allows for better adhesion to the aluminum and will not chip or peel like a painted surface, extending the brilliant look of the BG spinning series.
- Black Anodized Machined Aluminum Housing ("Hard Bodyz" Body & Side Cover), Over-sized Digigear (Digigear System)
- Solid Screw-In Handle, Air Rotor, Dynamic Cut Aluminum ABS Spool
- Braided Line Ready Spool, Waterproof Drag System, Carbon ATD, Line Per Handle Turn: 39.9"
- Manual Return Bail (4500 and Larger), 6BB+1RB, Gear Ratio: 5.6:1, Drag Max:17.6
- Line Capacity (Lb. Test / Yards): 10/300, 12/260, 14/210 J-BRAID: 20/370, 30/280, 40/200
Pflueger President – Best Spinning Reel for the MoneyCheck Price on Amazon
The Pflueger President is one of the most popular and well respected spinning reels on the market. They have models ranging from ultra light to heavy depending on your preferences and types of fish you target.
This is an exceptional reel for both inshore saltwater fishing and for lake, rivers and streams. Whether you target bass, pike or sea bass, the President is a spinning reel that will last a long time and hold u under all conditions.
The President from Pflueger is also our favorite as one of the best spinning reels for your money. With a price well under $100 you can beat it for quality and cost.
- 10 bearing system: Corrosion resistant stainless steel ball bearings
- Graphite body and rotor: Lightweight graphite reel construction. Braid ready spool - Allows Braid to be tied directly to spool
- HT 100 carbon fiber drag system provides powerful drag without sacrificing smoothness
- The “B” at the end of the model number represents the type of packaging (B= Claim, X= Box) and does not affect any of the specifications of the product
Okuma Ceymar – Best Spinning Reel Under $50
The sleek design and smooth performance of Ceymar spinning reels create a fantastic fishing experience for all anglers. Constructed on a fluid 8-bearing drive system and featuring Okuma precision elliptical gearing, Ceymar delivers a full line-up of advanced performance features. A rigid, machined aluminum spool creates a foundation of strength for monofilament and braided fishing lines.
Choose from ultra light to heavier models depending on which types of fish you regularly target on you trips.
The price point on the Ceymar is great too. This is our pick for best spinning reel under $50
- Used by professionals worldwide
- Tested for reliability and quality
- Made using the highest quality materials
- CORROSION RESISTANT – Perfect for your light inshore needs, the Ceymar Spinning Reels are designed with a corrosion resistant graphite body including frame, side plates and rotor
KastKing Sharky III – Best Spinning Reel Under $100
The KastKing Sharky III spinning fishing reel is lighter, smoother, and stronger! This KastKing Sharky III spinning reel provides brute force for fighting larger game fish with its amazing high efficiency triple disc carbon fiber drag to 39.5 lbs, 10+1 shielded stainless steel bearings, braid fishing line ready aluminum spool, precision manganese brass alloy gear, fiber reinforced body, and an oversized stainless steel main shaft. It is the perfect spinning rod and reel combo in sizes 1000 – 5000.
KastKing’s shark fin vented, braid fishing line ready aluminum pool allows you to eliminate backing line, and spool up entirely with braid line providing more line capacity for the fishing battle with the big ones. The 10 double-shielded superior quality stainless steel shielded ball bearings in every Sharky III provide buttery smooth performance for effortless fishing.
This is a recommended spinning reel for it’s reliability and great price point around $50.
- NEXT-GEN - The brand new design KastKing Sharky III spinning reels are built tough to land trophy fish in all fishing conditions. Sharky III are superb lightweight fishing reels built with a high percentage fiber reinforced graphite body and rotor!
- PURE POWER - You will love Sharky III spinning reel's amazing best-in-class up to 39.5LBs / 18KG of smooth, reliable triple disc carbon fiber drag, oversized stainless-steel main shaft, and stronger precision mesh manganese brass pinion gears for more fishing muscle.
- K.I.S.S. - Sharky III spinning reels are sealed with a KISS! Sharky III has a unique protection water resistant design for its spool, body, and rotor - K.I.S.S. (KastKing Intrusion Shield System). It helps keep water and dirt out.
- SUPER SMOOTH - You'll be blown away by the quiet, silky smooth retrieve of the Sharky III. Plus, with the unique Shark Fin Braid Ready aluminum spool, you no longer need to use backing line when spooling on braid fishing line.
- AFFORDABLE INNOVATION - Sharky III spinning reel is loaded with features, including 10 + 1 high quality, saltwater rated double shielded stainless steel ball bearings, instant lock anti-reverse, stainless steel hardware, aluminum handle, and more line capacity than other brands. It is the best all-around spinning reel for every angler.