When fly fishing, getting into the water is not always necessary. However, it can be beneficial to be up close and personal. You also won’t risk the fly getting tangled in the trees, so it’s important to have fly fishing waders so that you aren’t limited to dry ground.
When fly fishing, waders (also called “fly fishing pants“) are the best way to avoid getting wet and protect your feet while standing in the water. It can be difficult to sort through the high quality fishing waders and those that will actually work to keep you dry and warm while fly fishing. Check out our reviews to make the best purchase!
Top-Rated Fly Fishing Waders
Looking for the best fishing waders? We’ve done the research and found the best fly fishing waders available, so you can find what you need for your next fishing trip.
These are the Top 10 Fly Fishing Waders:
- Simms Tributary Stockingfoot Waders, Men’s Fly Fishing Chest Waders
- Cabela’s Women’s Premium Breathable Stockingfoot Fishing Waders
- TideWe Bootfoot Chest Wader
- Foxelli Nylon Chest Waders
- Orvis Encounter Waders
- Frogg Toggs Canyon II Breathable Stockingfoot Chest Wader
- Redington Sonic-Pro HDZ Mens Waders
- TideWe Chest Wader
- Hodgman H3 Stocking Foot Chest Waders
- Caddis Men’s Attractive 2-Tone Tauped Deluxe Breathable Stocking Foot Wader
Simms Tributary Stockingfoot Waders, Men’s Fly Fishing Chest Waders
These are durable and waterproof waders. They’re great for any season and conveniently have a fleece-lined hand warmer pocket for the colder weather. They protect your feet and legs while staying breathable, and the reviews on Amazon indicate that they’re a star choice among fishers around the world.
These fly fishing waders feature a 3-layer upper section and a 4-layer lower section for ultimate waterproofing. The fleece-lined hand pocket is great for keeping hands warm, and the front has a zippered pocket for tools and fly boxes. The feet are neoprene with an anti-microbial finish and feature a gravel guard and elastic bottom hem.
- Handwarmer pocket
- Zippered front pocket
- Multi-layered for secure waterproofing
- Neoprene chest waders with gravel guard
- Lightweight (2.26lb)
- Chest-high, but adjustable to waist high waders
- Inside chest pouch and other accessories sold separately
These fly fishing waders are a great buy for the price. There’s not much to complain about, other than some accessories that must be sold separately for an additional price. They’re comfortable, durable, and lightweight enough to not be exhausting to walk in. You can find them for the best price on Amazon.
- DESIGN – Our Mens Tributary Stockingfoot wader offers a breathable and waterproof 3-Layer upper and 4-Layer lower. Built with proven Simms durability, these dry, breathable fly fishing chest waders promote natural mobility while you negotiate steep trails and deep rivers
- PERFORMANCE – Great for any season. Suspenders and opposing male and female buckles allow a quick waist high conversion for the warm days on the water. Plus a reach-through fleece lined hand warmer pocket for trips in the cold season
- UTILITY AND CONVENIENT – Anatomically engineered neoprene stockingfeet with anti-microbial finish. Equipped with two belt loops with 38 mm nylon waist belt, a reach-through fleece-lined hand warmer pocket, and a front zippered top stash pocket for keeping tools and fly boxes within close range. Tributary waders come ready to accept a Simms Tippet Tender Pocket or Waterproof Wader Pouch both of which are sold separately.
- COMFORT – Stay active, stay comfortable – why compromise? Fishing waders come with a self-fabric gravel guard and gathered elastic bottom hem - designed to prevent aversion on the inner legs and improve articulation and mobility
- THE SIMMS WADER WARRANTY: If your wader leaks in the first 60 days of ownership, you may return it to Simms for a replacement of the same model and size. If your wader leaks within the first year of ownership, we’ll repair Simms will repair it at no charge. If your wader is in need of repair after your first year of ownership, Simms charges a flat fee of $60 for evaluation, repair, testing of repairs and return shipping back to you
Cabela’s Women’s Premium Breathable Stockingfoot Fishing Waders
Fly fishing isn’t just for men! These women’s fishing waders are durable, comfortable, and deliver maximum protection from punctures and water. The bottom interior of the booties have non-slip ridges, so shoes won’t slip and slide while worn. They’re perfect for any novice or advanced angler.
These chest-high fly fishing waders feature a fit that enhances mobility, and the material is a tough and tightly-woven nylon shell with triple-layered knees. The booties are 3mm neoprene and have non-slip grippers. These are 100% waterproof and breathable waders. The gaiters are nylon and rubberized elastic with rustproof lace hooks.
- Women’s fit
- Triple-layered knees
- Seams are taped inside and out
- Grippers on booties
- Includes nylon bag for storage
- No pockets
- Reviews state these are heavy
- Reviews also state they are long
These women’s fly fishing waders by Cabela’s are a good fit and completely durable. Although there are no pockets, the waders come with a nylon pouch for storage. The triple-layered knees and 4MOST DRY-PLUS technology keeps out water. These are some of the best breathable insulated waders out there, and one of the best waders money can buy. Interested in these women’s fly fishing waders? Find them on Cabela’s website here.
TideWe Bootfoot Chest Wader
These nylon fly fishing waders are lightweight but rugged, with two-ply upper fabric. They’re 100% waterproof with taped seams, which keeps out water and dirt while fishing. They even include a 100% waterproof phone case as an added bonus!
The TideWe Bootfoot fly fishing waders are made of rugged nylon with a two-ply upper fabric and are waterproof with nylon-reinforced PVC. They have an adjustable H-back with quick-release buckles and a flip-out chest pocket. They offer a belt at the waist and elastic at the chest opening, and are versatile as either hip waders or chest waders.
- Belt included (attached)
- Versatile as hip or chest waders
- Excellent price
- Impact-resistant boots
- Reviews state sizing is awkward
For the price, these are some of the best fishing waders that money can buy. They come with a belt, so there’s no need to purchase a belt separately. They’re made of extremely water-resistant materials, so there’s no worrying about flooding. They even come in two colors, which are brown and green. These are excellent for any passionate angler!
- ATTENTION: Please Match the size selection to your Normal Shoe Size. If your Feet are Wide or you need to wear Thick Socks, please Choose ONE SIZE LARGER than usual.
- LIGHTWEIGHT: The waders is 35% LIGHTER than traditional rubber waders due to RUGGED nylon with two-ply upper fabric, making it easily fit into any backpack. You hardly feel tired when fighting with big fish!
- 100% WATERPROOF: Nylon-reinforeced PVC upper with waterproof boot attachment and taped seams guarantee 100% waterproof reliability. Water Intrusion Resistance processing helps seal out water and dirt during long days on the water.
- User Friendly Design: Adjustable H-back web suspenders with durable quick release buckles, flip-out chest pocket and top draw cord, delivers convenience. We proivde boot hanger to solve your drying problem. FREE 100% water-proof phone case is included to protect your belongings.
- ALL-PURPOSE: It is designed to keep you dry and warm on your fishing adventures, hunting, farming work, or any messy situation. Waders sizes range from 7 to 14 (Please refer size chart)
Foxelli Nylon Chest Waders
These chest waders come in a fashionable camouflage print and are made of lightweight nylon. They are damage resistant to rips and tears, and the seams are glued, stitched, and taped for durability. The waders have fantastic insulation and come with several pockets. These even come with a convenient carrying bag!
The Foxelli Nylon Chest Waders are lightweight nylon waders that have double-layer reinforced knee pads for protection. They’re supremely durable and have excellent insulation for freezing temperatures. They have PVC boots that are non-slip and can be worn with or without socks for comfort.
- Interior and exterior chest pockets
- Included nylon belt with two carabiners
- Nonslip boots
- Reinforced knee pads
- Included nylon carrying bag
- One-year warranty
- Some reviews say sizing runs small
Reviews are overwhelmingly positive for these nylon camo waders on Amazon. They’re durable and great for the value. Some purchasers have noted that the sizing runs slightly small, so when purchasing these ensure that you check the sizing chart. All in all, these are a great choice.
- CONSTRUCTED FOR COMFORT – Foxelli Fishing Waders with Boots are a breeze to put on and take off, are 35% lighter than usual rubber waders and provide all the flexibility you’ll need while hunting or fishing. Chest suspenders have an adjustable elastic for finding the perfect fit, with quick release buckles that can be instantly detached. Double-layer knee pads have reinforced padding for added protection.
- DAMAGE RESISTANT – These men’s fishing waders are highly resistant to any type of damage, including rips and tears. Its seams are glued, stitched and taped for supreme durability. Guaranteed for premium performance, our waders are carefully tested before hitting the market. 420D Nylon material has excellent insulation properties and is also super durable. Nylon carrying bag is included for easy transport of your waders.
- A+ ADVANTAGES – We know that when you go hunting or fishing, there are lots of accessories and “things” that need to be carried. Our fishing waders are specially designed to meet this need. There is an exterior chest pocket for holding accessories, and an inner pocket for storing small belongings like your phone and keys. Included nylon belt has 2 carabiners to conveniently attach fishing gear, and clip it to the waders.
- BETTER BOOTS – PVC boots have an anti-slip sole for the best traction on muddy or slippery surfaces. They can be worn with socks or without, and are easy to put on and take off. They keep you sturdy on your feet, without sacrificing your comfort, during any hunting or fishing excursion.
- RISK-FREE PURCHASE - We offer a 30-day, no questions asked, money back guarantee with our One Year Warranty. If you don't like it - FOR WHATEVER REASON - we’ll give you your money back. Buy with confidence!
Orvis Encounter Waders
This pair of waders by Orvis provides durability and breathability with a number of features that enhance any fly fishing experience. This product comes with integrated belt loops for flooding protection, and even placement for a waterproof pocket.
The outer shell of the Orvis Encounter waders is 100% nylon with a polyurethane laminate and nylon liner, which makes for a great lightweight and waterproof pair of waders. They have pockets for storage and hand-warming, along with gravel guards for extra protection.
- Mesh zippered storage pocket
- 4-layer nylon fabric
- Kangaroo-style handwarmer pocket
- Integrated belt loops
- Included belt
- Neoprene booties
- Waterproof pocket sold separately
- Front pocket is not sealed or water-resistant
These are a great value for the price and include lots of features that any angler would love. The lightweight but heavy-duty design is long-lasting but comfortable and fit enough to wear all day. This pair is one of the best waders on the market. Get these waders on Amazon.
Frogg Toggs Canyon II Breathable Stockingfoot Chest Wader
These stockingfoot chest waders by Frogg Toggs are supremely durable, with a nylon upper and neoprene booties. Reviews state that these fit perfectly and are true to size. They even come with a one-year warranty in case of any damage.
The Frogg Toggs Canyon II’s are composed of a nylon upper section with neoprene booties. They have a waterproof zippered chest pocket and a variable belt to prevent accidental flooding. They also have a Y-back suspender system that is firm but comfortable, and gravel guards for extra protection.
- Neoprene booties
- Splash-proof security pocket
- Included belt and belt loops
- Good for entry-level anglers
- Reviews state the sizing runs small
Frogg Toggs is a trusted brand for rain gear and waders, which explains why these are such a great value. They’re affordable while not feeling cheap, and they protect the wearer while keeping them warm and comfortable. These waders are available on Amazon.
- 4-ply nylon upper
- Splash-proof zippered chest pocket
- Adjustable wading belt with quick-release locking buckle
- Attached gravel guards with integral lace hooks
- Adjustable Y-back suspenders with quick-release locking buckles
Redington Sonic-Pro HDZ Mens Waders
These waders by Redington are durable and incorporate a waterproof zipper for comfort and protection. The booties are ergonomic and comfortable, and the fabric is breathable and moisture-wicking.
These waders feature integrated tool docks to keep items safe and dry. They also feature articulated knees for a full range of motion, anti-corrosive hardware for durability, and plenty of pockets for personal items.
- Plenty of pockets for storage
- Integrated tool dock
- Slim wading belt
- Articulated knees
- Fleece handwarmer pockets
- Nylon material
- Multiple colors
- Some reviews have complained of seam failures
- Very pricey
These waders by Redington are quite pricey but well worth the money. Although some reviews state that the seams or zippers failed and let water in, Redington stands behind their products and will often repair or replace any damages. The waterproof zipper is an uncommon but great addition for ease of access. Overall, these are worth the price. Amazon has the best deal – buy yours now.
- TIZIP waterproof front zipper with snap tab to secure zipper
- Anti-corrosive hardware
- Large water-resistant chest pocket and removable internal water-resistant pocket
- Integrated tool dock on left chest pocket and zippered internal stash pockets with key clip for storing personal items.
- Slim wading belt compatible with majority of pliers and staffs
TideWe Chest Wader
TideWe is such an excellent brand to buy from that we’ve included a second pair on this list. The TideWe Chest Waders are sturdy, durable, and 100% waterproof with premium materials. They’re not as pricey as some other options on this list, which is another benefit.
These waders are made of 3.5mm neoprene and triple-finished stitched, glued, and taped seams for the ultimate waterproof experience. The booties are solid and insulated, and the neoprene adjusters are user-friendly. Like several other waders on this list, these feature a hand-warmer pocket for cold temperatures as well
- Double-stitched and sealed seams
- Drainage outlets in pockets
- Insulation boots
- Waterproof phone case included
- Comes with nylon belt
- Does not have belt loops
- Sizing runs large
These waders are warm, long-lasting, and high-quality. The boots are comfortable to wear with or without socks, and traction is excellent with the rugged boot tread pattern. If looking for insulated waders, these are the best. You can find them for the best price on Amazon.
- ATTENTION - PLEASE MIND THE SIZE CHART AND CHOOSE THE RIGHT SIZE BEFORE BUYING!
- STURDY & DURABLE – 3.5 mm neoprene upper with tough poly / jersey shell and stretch liner and triple-finished seams that are stitched, glued and taped, makes it extra solid and durable, you will always have peace of mind that your waders will perform while out in the waters and woods hunting and fishing.
- 100% WATERPROOF – Besides premium quality material guarantee, the TideWe waders also feature with armor weld double-stitched and sealed seams, polyurethane-coated leggings, all these give extra protection and make sure there is no leak.
- SOLID & INSULATED RUBBER BOOT - Built-in rubber boot is comfortable and can be worn with or without socks; 600 Gram 3M Thinsulate ultra insulation makes your feet warm; Reinforced shoe vamp for added puncture protection ; Our rugged boot tread pattern provides you with better balance and traction on wet and muddy surfaces; better grip means fewer slips and falls.
- ADJUSTABLE & USER-FRIENDLY - Adjustable neoprene suspenders with and loop attachments allow you to pull the waders on and off super easily due to the simple design. Quick-drain chest hand-warmer pocket with small pocket inside to keep things dry.
Hodgman H3 Stocking Foot Chest Waders
The Hodgman H3 Stockingfoot are breathable waders, have a chest pocket for personal items, and include hand warmers for those cold temperatures. For the price, these waders have it all.
These waders have 3-layer upper/lower sections, a mesh zipper chest for personal items, and a lined hand warmer. The suspenders are Y-backed and elastic, and the neoprene booties are distinguished left and right. They include a wade belt with a center back loop and removable insulation.
- Anatomically correct left and right booties
- Gravel-protection design
- Fleece handwarmer pocket
- Included belt with loop
- Some reviews complain of leakage
There are not many fly fishing waders you can find out there that have this many features at this price. Storage pockets are always convenient, and this pair of waders have several. They’re a fantastic pair, and the sizing is true and correct. They’re worth the buy on Amazon – get yours now.
- Breathable 3-layer upper and lower for sweat vapor transfer
- Mesh zippered chest pocket for tippet and large leader exit
- Micro-fleece lined hand warmer
- Y-back elastic suspenders with opposing low profile duraflex buckles
- Anatomically correct left and right neoprene booties
Caddis Men’s Attractive 2-Tone Tauped Deluxe Breathable Stocking Foot Wader
As stated in the name, this is a good-looking pair of waders! They are breathable with 2-layer knee protection and added gravel guards. They work in all weather conditions, and since the boots are purchased separately, they are lightweight as well.
These waders by Caddis feature adjustable suspenders, a quad pocket, and gravel guards. The material is durable polyester with moisture-wicking technology, and the feet are double taped and glued.
- 2-tone taupe
- Heavy-duty polyester
- Quad pockets
- Breathable material
- Comes in sizes for short, average, and tall heights
- Some reviews state the pockets are not waterproof
- Wading belt loops not included
The look and feel of these waders are excellent. They come with several pockets and a wading belt, which is a huge benefit. The price may be budget-friendly, but don’t let that fool you: this is a high-quality pair of fly fishing waders. Find this pair on Amazon.
- Comfortable 2 Tone Taupe stocking foot Breathable waders with double knee's, adjustable deluxe suspenders, new Quad pocket and attached breathable gravel guards.
- Works great in all weather conditions to keep you warm and comfortable while fishing, clamming or working in your pond.
- We use only the highest quality breathable material with a durable Poyester outer using CaddisDry technology that allows perspiration through, but keeps water out.
- The feet are double taped glued and stitched to make sure your feet stay warm and dry. Boots should be purchased separately.
- This family of waders has more adult sizes than any other wader series in our line. Men and women of most body sizes are addressed here.
How Can I Find The Best Fly Fishing Waders? A Quick and Easy Buyers Guide
Buying the perfect fly fishing waders can be difficult if it’s your first time. There are so many factors to consider, from materials and comfort to style and features. This is why we’ve compiled a comprehensive buyers’ guide to help you find the perfect fly fishing waders.
The number one factor to consider when purchasing fly fishing waders is comfort. One size will not fit all across products, so it’s important to look at the sizing guides for each pair of fly fishing waders before purchasing.
In addition, measure yourself before buying for an accurate comparison to the sizing chart. Waders that are too small will put stress on the seams, leading to potential tears. Waders that are too large will fold and weaken over time.
Durability and Breathability
Durable materials will often be heavier and “clunkier” than more breathable and lightweight materials. Consider how long you plan on wearing the waders throughout the day, and what activities you plan on doing.
For example, if you’ll be hiking from fishing hole to fishing hole, consider buying a durable pair.
There are three types of waders:
- Hip waders are for anglers that plan on fishing in shallow (knee-deep), still water.
- Waist waders are the middle ground between waist high and chest high waders. They provide more coverage and are better for those who plan on standing in higher (thigh-deep) or colder water.
- Chest waders have the maximum coverage and offer more layers for insulation or inside pockets. They’re perfect for any fishing situation, but remember to wear a wading belt to prevent accidental flooding.
Consider each type of wader before buying, taking into account what kind of fishing you plan on doing.
Bootfoot vs. Stockingfoot
- Fishing waders with boots are called bootfoots, and are great for anglers who want a quick and easy way to start fishing.
- Stockingfoot Waders require a separate purchase for wading boots, but are lighter and allow easier storage of the waders.
Consider what your priorities are in terms of storage and ease of access, and choose a type accordingly.
The soles of fly fishing waders are usually one of three types:
- Felt provides excellent traction on slippery river rocks, but are not as eco-friendly due to the quick wearing down rate.
- Studded soles also provide traction and do not need to be replaced as quickly, but are more difficult to clean and less effective in saltwater due to corrosion.
- Rubber soles are ideal for muddy and marshy conditions and are easy to clean.
Again, consider the fishing environment to choose the best sole for you.
Waders come in several materials such as:
- Neoprene waders are warm, but not as breathable as other materials. They’re perfect for fishing in cold or windy conditions.
- Rubber waders are insulated and completely waterproof but are often coupled with other materials. It’s heavy but very durable.
- Nylon and polyester waders are among the most breathable types. They are warm and moisture-wicking. While not as durable as rubber or neoprene waders, they can have added reinforcement to the knees or other areas.
Waders often come with several accessories such as:
- Repair kits
Belts should come standard with loops; they prevent water from coming into the waders, which eliminates the risk of flooding.
Check if wading socks come with your purchase; if you’re wondering what to wear under waders, these are a good idea. Wading socks are cushioned and keep your feet warm if standing in freezing water.
Finally, check with the manufacturer if the waders come with a repair kit in case of any rips, tears, or snags. These prolong the lifetime of the waders. Sometimes the manufacturer will add on a repair kit for free.
Purchasing fly fishing waders may be an overwhelming task simply due to the vast amount of options on the market. We hope that our buyers’ guide for fly fishing waders has helped you figure out what you want from your fishing waders! Pair these fly fishing waders with other fly fishing gear, like fly fishing vests, fly fishing sling packs, and more.