Saltwater fly fishing requires gear that is safe from saltwater damage. Salt can corrode many quality fly rods and reels, which is why it’s important to make sure your equipment is saltwater safe before taking it out to sea.
Top 10 Saltwater Fly Rods
Our team has put together a list of the best saltwater fly rods, made for long distance, powerful casting. These fly rods are made with corrosion resistant materials to withstand the harsh saltwater environment and are sure to last.
These are the Best Saltwater Fly Fishing Rods in 2020
- Sage Fly Fishing Igniter Fly Rod
- Tailwater Outfitters Toccoa Fly Rod
- Fenwick AETOS Fly Rods
- Goture Fly Fishing Rod
- Redington VICE Fly Fishing Rod
- Ugly Stik Bigwater Fly Rod
- Piscifun Sword Graphite Fly Fishing Rod
- KastKing Emergence Fly Fishing Combo
- M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Predator Saltwater Fly Fishing Rod
Serious fly fishing anglers should consider the Sage Igniter Fly Rod. Sage is one of the biggest names in fly fishing, so this saltwater fly rod is one of the best on the market. Handcrafted in the US, this fly rod is great for covering big water, with long casts and great accuracy.
Tailwater Outfitters Toccoa Fly Rod
This saltwater fly rod is also one of the best fly rods for all uses. It is a fast action fly rod, so it’s great for long casting and heavier fish that are often found in saltwater settings. It is made from IM8 graphite for extra sensitivity and durability. This rod breaks into four pieces,
- An extremely versatile 9ft. 5/6 weight, IM8 graphite rod for durability, accuracy and performance
- Convenient & travel friendly four piece, with alignment dots for fast setup
- Ceramic stripping guides, chrome snake guides for smooth gliding fly lines
- Machined aluminum reel seat with double lock rings for sturdy reel attachment
- Half well cork handle helps casting accuracy, avoids fatigue. Rod tube for safe storage.
Fenwick AETOS Fly Rods
The Fenwick AETOS Fly Rods are high performance and made with premium components, including an anodized aluminum reel seat and a AAA cork handle. These fast action rods are safe for freshwater, saltwater, or they offer a spey rod. This saltwater safe rod is powerful but lightweight.
- Fast-action blank for ideal performance and recovery
- Artfully crafted with a lightweight feel
- 4-section deep blue fly fishing rod with carbon flake accents
- AAA-grade cork handle for a firm yet comfortable grip
- Fenwick cloth covered rod tube and bag included
Goture Fly Fishing Rod
The Goture Fly Fishing Rod is made with components that are corrosion resistant, so it’s great for saltwater fly fishing. It comes in four sizes, for slow, medium, or medium fast actions. It has a 30-ton carbon fiber construction, so it is strong and durable. The Goture fly rod comes with a PVC case for protection.
- ONE-YEAR-WARRANTY and Life Time Repairing Warranty. As a professional fishing tackle supplier, we offer 100%“No HASSLE” GUARANTEE for one year. If you don't like it we'll issue a refund so you have nothing to lose. Additionally, we also offer lifetime repairing for our fly rods.
- High Balancing Performance: Customized burl wood insert in reel seat provide high balancing performance rather than aluminum insert like other brands.
- Super Light and Sturdy: 30+36T Carbon fiber blank construction makes the rod at least 20% increase in strength and at least 20% lighter in weight significantly.
- Widely Used in Freshwater or Saltwater: 4wt slow action suitable for small trout & sunfish in small streams; 5wt medium action suitable for general trout in larger streams and rivers(a universal size for beginners); 7wt/8wt medium fast action suitable for bass & salmon in saltwater.
- Travel Friendly: Super compact, all in 4 pieces, very easy to safe storage with a durable PVC rod tube (only 31.5” in length).
Redington VICE Fly Fishing Rod
The Redington VICE Fly Fishing Rod is a top-notch rod from respected fly fishing brand Redington. The VICE rod has an anodized, machined aluminum reel seat, so it is saltwater and freshwater safe. This fast action rod comes in various sizes and weights. It is made with carbon fiber blanks and other saltwater grade components.
- Easy-casting fast action.
- Anodized machined aluminum reel seat, ideal for all water conditions.
- Laser-etched model reference on reel seat for quick rod identification.
- Alignment dots for easy rod setup.
- Durable cordura rod tube with built in rod dividers. Lifetime warranty.
Ugly Stik Bigwater Fly Rod
The Ugly Stik Bigwater Fly Rod is a great saltwater fly rod for anyone looking to catch big game. It has a clear tip for enhanced power, and the rod itself is a fiberglass and graphite hybrid for strength and sensitivity. It also has stainless steel guides and a comfortable cork handle. The Ugly Stik Bigwater Fly Rod is 9 feet long and comes in sizes 8/9 or 10.
- Ugly Stik Clear Tip Design For Extra Strength
- Ugly Tech Construction With A Combination Of Graphite And Fiberglass To Create A Strong, Yet Sensitive Rod
- Ugly Tuff One Piece Stainless Steel Guides Provide Maximum Durability And Eliminate Insert Pop-Outs With Ss Snake Guides
- Cork Grips
- 7 Year Warranty
Piscifun Sword Graphite Fly Fishing Rod
The Piscifun Sword Graphite Fly Fishing Rod is great for freshwater or saltwater fly fishing. It comes in 5 different lengths and weights, and it has different actions ranging from slow to fast. This saltwater fly rod can fit any fly angler’s needs. It has a durable but sensitive graphite frame and a cork handle that’s easy to hold.
- Professional - 4wt-8'6" Slow Action for sunfish, small trout and small streams; 5wt/6wt-9' Medium Action for general trout, larger streams and rivers, a universal size for beginners; 7wt-9' Medium Action for bass, carp, light steelhead, salmon and saltwater; 9wt-9' Fast Action for winter steelhead, salmon and saltwater.
- High Performance - IM7 Graphite for durability, accuracy and performance; Machined aluminum reel seat with double lock rings for sturdy reel attachment; Ceramic stripping guides inserts and chrome guides for smooth gliding fly lines.
- Precise Accuracy - Precise fly placement and instant pulling power spell the difference between landing the fish of a lifetime and a history lesson.
- Travel Friendly - 4-piece design makes the rod a great carrying around equipment for all fly anglers. Pair with a durable PVC rod tube which offers great protection for your rod and portability.
- Ingenious Design - The white dots on the fly rod help you align the guides easily and accurately. Half wells cork handle helps casting accuracy, avoids fatigue; Full Wells enable the caster to apply the power for long casts to rods rated for line weights 7 and above, good to balance the rod and offer comfort when playing fish.
KastKing Emergence Fly Fishing Combo
KastKing is a reliable brand for high quality but low price fishing gear. The Emergence Fly Fishing combo comes with your full fly fishing outfit, all saltwater ready. The rod itself is graphite with stainless steel and ceramic guides and a 3A cork handle. It has a medium fast action, so it’s easy to cast and great for beginners.
- Everything You Need to Go Fly Fishing Today – KastKing Emergence Fly combos are designed to help beginning fly anglers get started right and while the Emergence fly combo is perfect for beginners, experienced anglers will also appreciate the quality and performance of this combo. Take a look at the video as our Product Development Director Al will show you just how easy it is.
- 4 Piece Graphite Fly Rod and More – The Emergence fly combo was much more than a starter fly rod. This is a true 4 pc. performance fly rod, aluminum fly reel, fly line, tapered leader, backing, 12 hand tied flies, travel case and the most important tools and accessories anglers need! It is available in 4 lengths and line weights and is sure to be perfect for your location in either freshwater or even saltwater fishing applications.
- Aluminum Fly Reel – The combo includes a high quality, lightweight aluminum, large arbor fly reel with an extremely smooth disc drag. The reel is pre-spooled with backing, weight forward floating fly line and the tapered fly leader is already attached. The reel is size matched for perfect balance with each line weight rod and is anodized with a rich black finish.
- Includes Tools/Flies & Accessories – Included with your Emergence fly combo is a beautiful travel case that allows the reel to remain on the fly rod. You’ll also receive 12, high quality, hand tied flies including some of the most popular and fishing catching dry flies, nymphs and streamers. Also included are the most used tools for fly anglers including forceps, line nipper with retractor, strike indicators and split shot for use with sub-surface flies.
- Performance, Confidence & Durability - The Emergence Fly Combo is the best way to get started in fly fishing at the lowest possible price.
M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Predator Saltwater Fly Fishing Rod
The Maxcatch Predator Saltwater Fly Fishing Rod is a great and affordable pick for saltwater fly anglers. It is made with a carbon blank and has a fast action. This powerful saltwater fly rod is great for bringing in big fish. It is versatile and works for various styles of fly fishing. The Maxcatch Predator also comes with a two year warranty and a lifetime repair warranty.
- SALTWATER and FRESHWATER PREDATOR – Designed for the saltwater fishing and also for casting big streamers for like pike or musky
- BEST COST for PERFORMANCE – this predator rod offer a chance for fly angler to experience the saltwater hard fighting species with a much affordable cost.
- POWERFUL also SMOOTH FAST ACTION – the 30T carbon blank with a durable profile Loading quickly for delivering Heavy flies with accuracy.
- VERSATILITY USAGE – this rod is designed and tested with all the demands in mind. Inshore and Offshore, with floating or sinking lines. This goal is to make a light, responsive, accurate but with durability and lifting strength
- TWO-YEAR-WARRANTY and LifeTime Repairing Warranty - we as a 15 years fly rod factory, offer “No Hassle” warranty for all our rods for one year. If you are not 100% satisfied with our rod, you can return it in any time. And we also offer lifetime repairing for all Maxcatch rods.
How To Choose a Saltwater Fly Rod
If you’re investing in a new saltwater safe fly fishing rod, you’ll want to get the very best for your money. Choosing a fly fishing rod for saltwater use should be based on a few key factors. Learn what to look for when buying a saltwater fly rod.
If you’re planning to use your fly fishing rod in saltwater environments, it obviously needs to be saltwater safe. This means that the components should be made of strong materials that are corrosion resistant. Many saltwater rods feature aluminum or stainless steel fly reel seats and line guides. Look for a rod made with materials that won’t break down in a saltwater setting.
Action is how much the rod bends during casting, which affects how the line flies. Fast action is typically preferred for saltwater fly rods, as they offer longer, faster casting. Fast action rods are stiffer and bend less than slow action rods, which results in fast moving, long distance casts.
Fly rods differ from standard fishing rods, in that their weight has to match the weight of the line. Many versatile fly rods are 5 weight, and therefore require a 5 weight line.
Saltwater fly fishing is often done on oceans or seas, which typically house strong currents and larger fish compared to lakes. Many saltwater rods come in heavier weights from 8-10 for saltwater use.
The length of your fishing rod can affect how far it casts. When buying a saltwater fishing rod, most anglers prefer longer rods for longer casting. 9 foot rods are standard saltwater fly rods.
Pick a fly rod with a comfortable handle so that you don’t get tired of holding it over a long day of fishing. Ergonomically designed handles reduce fatigue, and cork is the preferred material for most anglers.
Find the best saltwater fly rod for this fly fishing season! These rods are top-rated, with saltwater safe features, great performance, and more.