Ready to spend those beautiful days outside fishing? Before you leave to soak up the sun, make sure you bring good protective gear. Sunglasses are one of the most important things to bring with you before you head out for your fishing trip. Besides keeping you safe from the harm of UV rays, the right pair of polarized fishing sunglasses allows you to see more clearly in various weather conditions.
If you haven’t bought your sunglasses yet or need a new pair, check out some of the best fishing sunglasses below! This list includes a variety of at different price points, styles, and lenses, so there’s a pair of sunglasses for everyone.
Top 10 Polarized Sunglasses for Fishing
Find the best sunglasses, made for anglers. These glasses have a variety of features, but all are top-rated for long days out on the water.
These are the Best Sunglasses for Fishing:
- Costa del Mar Tuna Alley Sunglasses
- Costa del Mar Fantail Sunglasses
- Smith Optics Guide’s Choice Sunglasses
- Oakley Double Edge Sunglasses
- Oakley Holbrook Sunglasses
- Oakley Turbine Sunglasses
- Flying Fisherman Maverick Polarized Sunglasses
- Maui Jim World Cup Fishing Sunglasses
- Wiley X P-17 Sunglasses
- Kaenon Anacapa Polarized Sunglasses
Costa del Mar Tuna Alley Sunglasses
Why does the Costa del Mar Tuna Alley top the list? With so many features, it’s no wonder that Costa del Mar is a go-to brand for fishing sunglasses. One thing that sets this pair of sunglasses apart is the venting system. The frame has a three-hole venting system so that the lenses don’t fog up on a hot day. This just makes it easier to spot exactly what you’re looking for as you fish! The lenses are also polarized, which is a quality you should be looking for as you’re buying fishing sunglasses. Polarized lenses reduce glare.
The 8-base curve on the sunglasses ensures that they’ll wrap just right around your face, so you’ll have maximum comfort on your fishing trip. The Tuna Alley sunglasses also have a lightweight plastic frame, so they’re not too heavy, yet still durable. Plus, you can get the Tuna Alley with Costa del Mar’s 580 Glass, which provides 100% from UV light.
Though this pair of sunglasses is fairly pricey, it’s worth it for those who love outdoor adventures. The snug fit, vent system, and UV protection make the Costa del Mar Tuna Alley sunglasses a strong choice when it comes to purchasing sunglasses.
- Costa's most high tech lens - 580 Glass provides superior clarity, scratch-proof, 100% UV protection and the best polarizing efficiency available.
- Blue Mirror Polarized is best for bright, full-sun situations on the open water and offshore.
- Costa's co-injected bio-based nylon frame material is both tough and durable, while offering a comfortable fit.
- 100% polarization kills reflected glare and reduces eye strain. Lens Width: 61.8mm
- Built by hand and backed for life. Every pair of Costa Sunglasses includes a limited lifetime warranty.
Costa del Mar Fantail Sunglasses
The Fantail model is another great pair of sunglasses from Costa Del Mar. Like the Tuna Alley, you can get the Fantail with 580 Glass, so this pair of sunglasses also has 100% UV protection. With the polycarbonate glass, you get a pair of scratch-resistant sunglasses. While trekking around outside, scratch-resistant lenses are a definite benefit.
The lenses are polarized, and the nylon frame lends more durability and comfort. Since there are plenty of colors and styles to choose from, you’re sure to find a Fantail that matches your style. The Costa del Mar Fantail Sunglasses can be a little snug and tight, so they should be high on your list if you have a smaller face. Since the Fantail is made with a TR-90 material that provides flexibility, you should be able to bend them a little for a perfect fit.
On Amazon, the Fantail is at a slightly lower price point than Costa del Mar’s Tuna Alley. Still, the Fantail has many of the same benefits, so if you’re looking for a more affordable pair of sunglasses, this just might be the one for you.
- Costa's most high tech lens - 400 Glass provides superior clarity, scratch-proof, 100% UV protection and the best polarizing efficiency available.
- Green Mirror Polarized enhances vision and contrast, great for fishing inshore and on flats.
- Costa's co-injected bio-based nylon frame material is both tough and durable, while offering a comfortable fit.
- 100% polarization kills reflected glare and reduces eye strain.
- Built by hand and backed for life. Every pair of Costa Sunglasses includes a limited lifetime warranty.
Smith Optics Guide’s Choice Sunglasses
Another great choice for your fishing sunglasses is Smith Optics Guide’s Choice. For maximum comfort and fit, the Guide’s Choice Sunglasses have temple and nose pads and 8-base curvature for its lenses. If you’re moving around constantly or worried about sweat making your glasses slip, the temple and nose pads will keep your sunglasses firmly in place. The sides of the frames are fairly thick, so this also prevents your glasses from falling down. Although the glasses are large, the model is still light and comfortable.
The lenses are coated with materials that make them anti-reflective and hydrophobic, so they’ll be clean and clear. Smith Optics has different types of technology for its lenses, including Chromapop and Techlite. So what exactly is so special about them? Chromapop filters different colored wavelengths so you can see natural colors with more clarity while Techlite is especially resistant to scratches.
These sunglasses are also polarized, providing yet another reason to buy. When it comes to purchasing a pair of sunglasses that will do the job, Guide’s Choice is an excellent option, especially when it comes to seeing color clearly.
- Medium-Large fit/large coverage
- Tech Lite Polarized glass TLT lenses
- Evolve frame material, Anti-Reflective and hydrophobic lens coatings, Hydrophilic Megol nose & Temple pads and stainless steel spring hinges
- 8 base lens Curvature
Oakley Double Edge Sunglasses
Oakley is another popular sunglasses brand for fans of the outdoors, and the Double Edge is just one of many of Oakley’s great models. The Double Edge Sunglasses are designed with wider lenses, so if you have a wide face, these sunglasses might be a better fit than other brands and models. This pair of sunglasses is polarized, so the glare from the water will be reduced as you’re fishing.
When it comes to lens technology, Oakley’s sunglasses can come in Prizm Deep Water Polarized and Prizm Shallow Water Polarized features. This feature means that the sunglasses are even better optimized to minimize any glare from water, snow, and any other possible surfaces.
Besides lowering glare, Oakley’s Double Edge Sunglasses also provide ample UV protection and filter out any dangerous blue light up to 400 nanometers. All of these features are preferable when you’ll be spending a day out on the water.
- UV PROTECTION Eye damage attributed to ultraviolet light includes cataracts, pterygium and macular degeneration. Our Plutonite lens material filters out 100% of all UVA, UVB, UVC and harmful blue light up to 400nm. The protection is from the lens material itself.
- IMPACT PROTECTION Backed by decades of innovation, Oakley performance eyewear offers uncompromising protection against high-velocity and high-mass impact. The protection is a benefit of the premium materials and unique architectures of Oakley lens/frame combinations.
- HIGH DEFINITION OPTICS LENSES All Oakley lenses offer HDO Technology with the following benefits: Clarity: Conventional lenses can magnify images. HDO precision gives less distorted vision across the entire field of view. Refraction: With regular lenses, objects aren’t really where you see them. HDO offers a truer visual image so your brain won’t have to work overtime. UV Protection: All Oakley lenses block 100% of UVA, UVB & UVC rays and harmful blue light up to 400 nm.
- PRIZM DEEP WATER POLARIZED Light Transmission: 12% Light Conditions: Bright Light Contrast: Increased Base Lens Color: Grey
- PRIZM POLARIZED LENSES Prizm Polarized features the maximized contrast and enhanced visibility of Prizm with the glare filtering benefits of Oakley HDPolarized. PRIZM DEEP WATER POLARIZED Light Transmission: 12% Light Conditions: Bright Light Contrast: Increased Base Lens Color: Rose
Oakley Holbrook Sunglasses
The Holbrook has all the hallmarks of a pair of Oakley sunglasses. With 100% protection from UV rays, your eyes will remain in tip-top shape after a full day in the sun. However, the lenses are made from polycarbonate, which are more prone to scratches. While other lenses made by stronger and less likely to get scratched up, the lenses on the Holbrook include more side protection since they wrap around your eyes and head a bit more. Although this pair of sunglasses is a bit heavier than others, buying a strap will ensure they stay right where they need to be.
The Holbrook frames come in all sorts of stylish colors, so you can set yourself apart. Sapphire Mist and Dark Ink Fade both have ombre styles, and Aero Balsam is the perfect summer look with its bright aqua frame. On Amazon, some styles have lenses that are not polarized, so look at more than just frame color before you make the final decision to buy.
- Case included
- Lenses are prescription ready (rx-able)
- Hollbrook is a timeless, classic design infused with modern Oakley technology. Perfect look for performance and style.
Oakley Turbine Sunglasses
Made with a plastic frame and plastic lenses, Oakley’s Turbine Rectangular Sunglasses are lightweight, and you’ll barely notice you’re wearing them. Although the lenses and frames are made with plastic, it doesn’t mean the Turbine runs cheap. These sunglasses from Oakley have excellent UV protection; it’s 100%. Like most other sunglasses that are best for fishing, they’re polarized.
Oakley has HDO lenses. HDO stands for high definition optic, and this technology sharpens and clarifies what you see, so you can bet these will improve your fishing experience. While the Turbine may be less durable and hardy than some other popular sunglasses, it still brings you the safety and clarity you need for your next fishing trip.
- Oakley's Plutonite Lenses offer top UV Protection filtering 100% of all UVA, UVB, UVC and harmful blue light up to 400mm. Oakley’s lightweight Plutonite lens material offers superior comfort, clarity & protection against impact and ultraviolet radiation.
- Patented High Definition Optics (HDO) provides superior optical clarity and razor-sharp vision at every angle.
- O Matter stress-resistant frame is lightweight & durable for all-day comfort & protection. Oakley’s injection molded thermoplastic O-Matter frame provides improved strength & flexibility over traditional acetate & is built to withstand shifting or deforming over time.
- Three-Point Fit: Comfort and performance that holds lenses in precise optical alignment. Contact only happens at the bridge of the nose and behind the temples.
- Unobtanium earsocks and nose pads for increased comfort and performance. Pads increase grip with perspiration to help provide a secure and custom fit.
Flying Fisherman Maverick Polarized Sunglasses
With a price that’s significantly lower than other sunglasses, Flying Fisherman’s Maverick Polarized Sunglasses are a great steal. Whether you need a spare pair of sunglasses or are looking to make this your primary pair, the affordability isn’t the only benefit.
There’s a rubberized nose piece to keep the sunglasses in place, and the frames are flexible, so you’ll be able to bend them slightly to fit your face. As for the lenses, they still provide plenty of protection against UV light and will adequately shield you from the sun. The lenses are polarized triacetate, but are not completely resistant to scratches.
Given the price point, it’s no surprise these glasses aren’t as hardy or long-lasting, but they do the job. If you don’t fish too often or lose sunglasses easily, these are a good pair to keep around as a backup.
- MAVERICK, MATTE BLACK FRAMES/SMOKE LENS. Flying Fisherman Action Angler Sunglasses with polarized triacetate lenses improve visibility for any activity. They are scratch resistant, lightweight and durable so you can take them everywhere.
- STRONG ENOUGH TO KEEP UP. Polycarbonate frames are lightweight, comfortable and designed for durability in any condition.
- POLARIZED SUNGLASSES FOR MEN & WOMEN. AcuTint Polarized Lens System blocks 100% of UVA and UVB rays, sharpens contrast and clarity, and eliminates glare, allowing you to see beneath the water’s surface. Glasses are hard coated for scratch resistance.
- BY FISHERMEN, FOR FISHERMEN. Maximize your outdoor experience with sunglasses developed and field tested in the Florida Keys. They offer unbeatable comfort, clarity and performance both on and off the water, and for any outdoor sport or hobby.
- FLYING FISHERMAN POLARIZED EYEWEAR. Flying Fisherman provides quality, affordable polarized sunglasses that are stylish and fully functional for fishing and outdoor enthusiasts.
Maui Jim World Cup Fishing Sunglasses
Maui Jim named this pair of sunglasses after the only worldwide blue marlin fishing tournament, so you can imagine that this company knows their stuff when it comes to fishing! The quality of the World Cup Fishing Sunglasses is fantastic. The frames are made with injected nylon, unlike plastic, which is a common material for sunglasses frames. This material is still light and comfortable.
The Maui Jim World Cup Fishing Sunglasses have PolarizedPlus2 lenses, which provide excellent protection. PolarizedPlus2 lenses are one of the best polarized lenses in the market, so glare won’t bother you at all during your fishing trip. The lenses are also waterproof and resistant to scratches. Besides all these features, the lenses are also exceptionally thin since they’re made with SuperThin Glass Material. This makes the sunglasses even lighter!
Additional qualities include 100% protection from UV light and an 8-base curve fit. Although the steep price may be a deterrent from purchasing a pair, remember all the high-quality features of the sunglasses. If you go fishing often, it’s necessary to have the best protection possible.
- Click the Maui Jim link above to visit our brand store, where you can find our entire catalog of sunglasses
- All Maui Jim sunglasses feature PolarizedPlus2 lens technology that go beyond shielding your eyes from glare and harmful UV rays by enhancing colors to reveal the true beauty of the world around you
- Enjoy ultimate UV protection combined with premium style, incredible durability, glare-free vision, and color-boosting patented technologies
- Neutral Grey lenses offer the highest available light reduction and are most useful in bright, direct sunlight
- Lenses made with SuperThin Glass Material provide for crisp optics and the best scratch and solvent resistance
Wiley X P-17 Sunglasses
Wiley X P-17 is another more affordable option if you don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on sunglasses. Still, it brings many of the same benefits as pricier pairs of sunglasses. You can get the Wiley X P-17 with polarized lenses; like many other brands and models, they block out 100% of UV light.
In fact, Wiley X’s sunglasses come with their eight-layer technology, which makes their products hydrophobic, scratch-resistant, and anti-reflective. The lenses are also very strong and shatterproof, so in case of any damage, the sunglasses should still be in relatively good condition. The pair of sunglasses even meets impact requirements at industrial standards. For a heavy-duty and reliable pair of sunglasses, choose Wiley X’s P-17.
- All Wiley X lenses block 400 nanometers or 100% of the suns harmful UV rays
- Eight-layer Filter 8 polarized lenses reduce glare
- Shatterproof lenses
Kaenon Anacapa Polarized Sunglasses
Designed in California, sunglasses from Kaenon are another great choice for outdoor adventures and fishing trips. One visible difference with the Anacapa when compared to other pairs of sunglasses is the thickness of the frames at the temple. This feature keeps the sunglasses firmly in place, along with the nose grip. With the Kaenon Anacapa Sunglasses, you can enjoy your day in the sun without worrying about your sunglasses constantly slipping down your face.
Kaenon’s Anacapa model comes with the company’s standard lenses made with their SR-91 technology. Not only are the lenses polarized, but they’re also optimized to be extremely light, clear, and strong. Additionally, the lenses allow you to see colors and contrast more sharply. With all these features, you’ll be able to admire the distinct landscape around you as you enjoy your day fishing.
These sunglasses come in classic solid black and white frames and more unique tortoise shell frames. You have a few colors and patterns to choose from. Since the Anacapa has stylish frames and great lenses, this pair of sunglasses is yet another strong contender when it comes to buying the perfect sunglasses for fishing.
- Channel the Islands. Anacapa's strong shape, larger size and 8-base frame make it ideal for setting sights on any horizon. Subtle contouring and smart temple design create lasting comfort.
- Medium-Large fit
Why Buy Fishing Sunglasses?
While they might seem like an accessory, sunglasses are essential for fishing. Being prepared for a fishing trip goes beyond taking the right bait or fishing rod. If you’re going to be outside all day, it’s important to keep your eyes protected from the sun and UV rays.
Additionally, the best fishing sunglasses will improve your sight depending on the conditions of your surroundings. If you like to fish offshore, make sure you buy the right tinted sunglasses! On the other hand, if you fish at night, you might need another tint to see more clearly.
Regardless of how you like to fish, do some research before you purchase a pair of sunglasses. Not only will this help you find the best deal, you’ll also get a pair of sunglasses to suit your fishing needs and preferences!
What to Consider When Buying Fishing Sunglasses
When you’re buying sunglasses for fishing, there are a few things you should consider. While price is going to be a major factor, there are plenty of other protective features that are worth exploring.
As with any product you purchase, consider durability and comfort. However, when it comes to fishing sunglasses, there are a few more specifics to think about. You want to consider how to get the best use out of your glasses as well as maximum protection. For a long-lasting pair of sunglasses that will shield your eyes from the sun, consider quality over the cheapest pair of glasses.
Polarized Fishing Sunglasses
When light reflects onto water, the wavelength from the sun’s light changes from vertical to horizontal. In order to prevent the negative effects of the glare produced from this phenomenon, purchase a pair of polarized lenses.
What exactly is the benefit of polarized lenses? They filter out horizontal wavelengths, so you can see more clearly into the water. It’s also helpful in reducing any glare from the water. There are great pairs of sunglasses that don’t have polarized lenses, but it’s recommended to have polarized lenses while fishing. They’re certainly a great help when looking into the water! Our recommendations include plenty of polarized lenses.
You can find polarized lenses in various colors and tints, and polarized lenses can be made of different materials, like glass or polycarbonate. Because polarized lenses can come in so many varieties, it should be easy to find a great pair of sunglasses with this type of lens.
Colors and Tints for Fishing Sunglasses
The lenses of sunglasses come in all sorts of colors, from grey to blue and green. These aren’t just for show— each color has a specific purpose. A gray lens is usually the right choice for sunny days and works under most weather and light conditions. For general use, go with a gray lens. Gray lenses darken colors, but they won’t change the contrast you see.
If you plan on fishing at night or in conditions with low light, choose lenses with a yellow tint. These will help you see in the dark. As for other tints, copper sharpens the contrast but also change the way you perceive other colors. Copper lenses also improve your depth perception. Break out the blue lenses if you’re in deep, open water on a bright day and save green lenses for strong contrast when you’re in-shore fishing.
If you’re thinking about buying multiple pairs of sunglasses, consider buying pairs with different lenses. This is especially important if you fish in many locations and at different times of the day. Be prepared for any fishing situation!
Offshore vs. Inshore Fishing Sunglasses
Are you fishing offshore on inshore? Where you’re fishing will also affect the pair of sunglasses you buy. It may change the type of tint you want to get. If you’re fishing offshore, go with a pair of sunglasses with a blue mirror. Since you’ll be out in open water, this is the optimal choice. Ideally, find a pair of sunglasses with a gray base in order to see through the water clearly. Ultimately, this keeps your eyes protected from the sun and any glare.
If you prefer inshore fishing, try a pair of sunglasses with a copper or green tint. While inshore fishing, there’s usually more shade than offshore fishing, where you can be in the open ocean. Here, you’ll want a tint that will brighten up your surroundings and increase the contrast so you can see clear as day.
Final Thoughts on Best Fishing Sunglasses
With numerous options when it comes to brands and models, you’re sure to find the right pair of sunglasses for your fishing trips. Many fishing backpacks have a pocket for glasses so you won’t forget them! Be sure to also find the best fishing hat for ultimate protection against UV light.