When you’re ice fishing, safety is vital. Ice fishing boots are an important part of ice fishing safety; not only do they keep your feet warm and dry, but they also prevent slipping and falling on (or through) the ice.
The best ice fishing boots are made for extremely cold weather. Wearing any old pair of boots or shoes can be detrimental, as you could slip or get frostbite, resulting in injury. If you fall, you could also break through the frozen lake, which is a seriously dangerous possibility. Don’t take any risks: invest in a good pair of boots for ice fishing so you can confidently and safely fish on the frozen water.
Top 10 Ice Fishing Boots
Choose from the top-rated cold weather fishing boots, sure to keep you warm, dry, and safe. These ice fishing boots are anglers’ favorites – they’re comfortable, made with high quality components, and perfect for a long, cold day of hard water fishing! Pair these boots with a set of ice cleats to give you even better traction on ice.
These are the Best Boots for Ice Fishing:
- Kamik Men’s Greenbay 4 Cold-Weather Boot
- Bogs Men’s Classic Ultra Mid Insulated Winter Snow Boot
- Sorel Men’s Bear Extreme Snow Boot
- Baffin Men’s Snow Monster Insulated All-Weather Boot
- Muck Boot Arctic Sport Rubber High Performance Men’s Winter Boot
- Baffin Men’s Control Max Insulated Boot
- Muck Boot Men’s Arctic Pro Hunting Boot
- XTRATUF Elite Series 12” Neoprene Insulated Men’s Fishing Boots
- Lacrosse Men’s Hunt Pac Extreme Boot
- Sorel Men’s Conquest Boot
Kamik Men’s Greenbay 4 Cold-Weather Boot
The Kamik Men’s Greenbay 4 Cold-Weather Boot is 100% waterproof, so your feet will stay dry. These are one of our top recommended best ice fishing boots for a reason. They are made with 600 denier nylon and RubberHe soles with great traction. They have a minus 40 fahrenheit extreme temperature rating and a removable felt liner, so you’ll be warm even on the coldest fishing trips.
- Cold-weather boot with waterproof upper featuring removable 8mm thermal-guard liner and hook-and-loop strap
- Drawstring at top line
Bogs Men’s Classic Ultra Mid Insulated Winter Snow Boot
The Bogs Men’s Classic Snow Boot is perfect for cold days out on the frozen pond. It is 100% waterproof and comfort rated to negative 35 degrees fahrenheit. A non-slip, non-marking outer sole provides traction on the surface. Anti-microbial insoles prevent odor buildup. Made with rubber and neoprene, these boots are tough, but easy to get on and off with pull-up handles.
- 100% waterproof rain and snow boot
- Winter/rain boot with waterproof shell bottom featuring a neoprene shaft with pull-on handles
- Durable hand-lasted rubber over a four-way stretch inner bootie
- Lined with Bogs Max-Wick to keep feet dry
- Shaft Circumference is 16 inches
Sorel Men’s Bear Extreme Snow Boot
Sorel Bear Extreme Snow Boots are made for the ice. With a wind and water-resistant upper, insulated inner boot with reflective lining, and a vulcanized rubber shell, these boots can withstand the coldest days and keep your feet dry. The rubber sole has a great grip, so you won’t slip on the ice.
- EXTREME CONDITIONS: Made for the most extreme conditions, the XT boots provide warmth, waterproofing, traction and comfort; Great for urban adventures in the harshest winters
- WATER RESISTANT BOOT: Made with water-and-wind resistant PU coated synthetic textile that keeps you warm and dry; Drawstring with barrel lock closure keeps snow out
- INSULATED WARMTH: Features a removable 9 mm recycled felt inner boot with Omni-Heat reflective lining that keeps you warm down to -60F; 2.5 mm bonded felt frost plug
- COMFORT AND GRIP: Comfortable 6 mm ThermoPlus felt footbed for extra coziness; Handcrafted waterproof vulcanized rubber shell with grippy outsole for icy conditions
- FUNCTION MEETS FASHION: SOREL creates bold, always-ready footwear that's built to take on non-stop days and nights in the city
Baffin Men’s Snow Monster Insulated All-Weather Boot
The Snow Monster Boot from Baffin is perfect for a cold day of ice fishing. It has an eight layer inner system with Thermaplush insulation. These boots are comfortable, with an adjustable cuff with bungee closure, an anatomical footbed, and heel pulls so they’re easy to take on and off. The Baffin Men’s Snow Monster boots have rubber Icepaw soles for improved traction.
- Knee-high boot featuring bungee-chord speed lacing system and adjustable circumference
Muck Boot Arctic Sport Rubber High Performance Men’s Winter Boot
The Muck Boots brand is known for great fishing boots, and the Arctic Sport Rubber High Performance Men’s Winter Boots work great on the frozen lake and snow. They keep feet warm to -40 degrees fahrenheit, even in snow or slush. The molded rubber outsole is rugged and provides great traction. These boots are waterproof and warm, made with rubber, neoprene, and a fleece lining.
- 5 mm neoprene provides comfort and flexibility, along with excellent waterproofing, shock absorption and heat retention properties; adjusts to your foot shape to resist blisters and chafing
- Completely sealed rubber shell extends up above ankle area for added protection from moisture. Pull-tab for easy on and off
- Fleece lining is soft, durable and provides exceptional warmth in frigid environments; 2 mm of thermal foam under footbed; comfort rated from -40 °F to 40 °F (-40°C to 4°C)
- Outsole with rugged molded lugs for increased traction on slippery and uneven terrain. Pull-tab for easy on and off
- 100% waterproof winter boots; EVA contoured, molded midsole for increased support
Baffin Men’s Control Max Insulated Boot
The Baffin Control Max Insulated Boots are made with quality leather, rubber, and a Thermaplush inner system for warmth. They use Icepaw technology for improved grip on the ice, and they’re rated for warmth down to -95 degrees fahrenheit. Baffin Control Max boots have a removable liner and a top cinch to keep the warmth inside and water out.
- Temperature Rating: -70ºC/-94ºF
- Liner: Removable, Baffin multi-layer inner boot system
- Waffle-comb foot-bed
- Base: Arctic Rubber Shell, EVA Midsole, Polar Rubber Outsole
- Multi D-Ring lace fastening
Muck Boot Men’s Arctic Pro Hunting Boot
Another great choice from Muck Boots, the Arctic Pro Hunting Boot is warm even in -60 degree weather. Their 8mm neoprene bootie and fleece lining makes these boots comfortable, warm, and dry. Stretch-fit topline keeps heat in and water out, and EVA insoles provide comfort for your feet. The Muck Boot Arctic Pro Hunting Boots are high quality and sure to keep you safe on the ice.
- 8 mm neoprene provides comfort and flexibility, along with excellent waterproofing, shock absorption and heat retention properties; adjusts to your foot shape to resist blisters and chafing
- Muck's warmest boot; fleece lining is soft, durable and provides exceptional warmth in extreme cold; 2 mm thermal foam under the footbed for extra warmth; comfort rated from -60 °F to 30 °F (-50 °C to -1 °C)
- Stretch-fit Comfort Topline snugs calf to seal in warmth while keeping cold and debris out; double reinforcement in the instep, heel and Achilles area where you need it most
- Lightweight EVA midsole for additional cushioning; super aggressive Bob-Tracker outsole is rugged and durable
- High-grade rubber provides extra toughness and makes for a 100% waterproof hunting boot; Shaft Circumference is 17 inches; rear pull loops for easy on/off
XTRATUF Elite Series 12” Neoprene Insulated Men’s Fishing Boots
These boots are 100% waterproof, with 5mm neoprene inner booties and a Spandura high-abrasion nylon. The XTRATUF Elite Series Neoprene Fishing Boots are made with oil and chemical resistant rubber, so they’re safe and slip-resistant. Reinforced rubber layers add extra strength and durability. Airmesh lining allows breathability, so your feet won’t overheat or sweat too much.
- Xtratuf Mens Elite Mid, Copper Tan, 8
Lacrosse Men’s Hunt Pac Extreme Boot
Lacrosse Men’s Hunt Pac Extreme Boots were made for hunting, but they’re perfect for winter fishing as well. Dry-Core technology keeps your feet safe from moisture, and 2000 grams of Thinsulate insulation material keeps them warm. A rubber Ice Grip outsole will prevent slipping, with a reinforced heel and toe cap for durability.
Sorel Men’s Conquest Boot
The Sorel Men’s Conquest Boot is made with premium materials, with 100% waterproof leather and a rubber sole. They’re rated to stay warm down to -40 degrees fahrenheit, with Thinsulate insulation material. The Conquest Boots are seam-sealed, so water stays out. A built-in gaiter has a barrel-lock closure and an Achilles adjustment strap to provide ankle support.
- Seam sealed waterproof construction
- Rated to -40 degrees F
- Waterproof leather
- 400g Thinsulate Ultra insulation
- Built-in gaiter bootie with bungee drawstring and barrel-lock enclosure for deep snow
Ice Fishing Boots Buyers Guide
With so many options, it’s hard to know how to choose a pair of boots for fishing on frozen lakes. The best ice fishing boots have certain things you should look for; they should be warm and water resistant to prevent frostbite and hypothermia. You’ll also want ice boots with soles that won’t slip – even with ice cleats, you’ll want the extra grip. Learn what to look for when choosing ice fishing boots, always considering safety on the ice.
Cold snow or ice water soaking your feet and socks can ruin a pleasant day of ice fishing. Waterproof boots will prevent this from happening. Look for boots that are 100% waterproof or at least decently water resistant so that your feet stay dry. Typically, materials like rubber or neoprene make for a good waterproof outsole. If you find yourself stepping in puddles often, you may want a boot that is waterproof all the way up the boot.
Insulation and Warmth
If the ice is frozen, it must be pretty cold out. It’s important that you stay warm, so look for boots that are insulated. Boots with Thinsulate are often the gold standard, but others with fleece lining, neoprene booties, and other warm materials will work just as well. Look for high quality materials – they will keep your feet warmer, and they’ll last longer. If you’re worried that boots won’t be warm enough, buy them in a size that leaves room for extra socks.
One of the most important features of ice fishing boots is their grip. Even with ice cleats, you’ll want boots with good traction that will grip the ice so you are less likely to slip and fall. Look for boots with strong soles that are made for improved traction, and check customer reviews to ensure they actually have a good grip on the ice.
Some boots reach higher than others. Depending on your preference and the other ice fishing apparel you wear, you may want a higher or lower boots. Some of the higher boots are as tall as 15 inches, reaching towards the knee, while others stay closer to the ankle.
Consider what height boot you want – a higher boot will keep out snow and slush if you step in a deeper puddle, but may be harder to move around in. Think about how your boots and pants will fit together, whether you wear ice fishing bibs over the boot or tuck in another pair of snow pants.
Ice fishing boots – especially those made from sturdy, waterproof materials, can get heavy. If you’re anticipating a long day of trudging through the ice and snow, you may want to choose a lighter weight boot so that you don’t get tired. Heavier boots can also weigh you down, should you fall through the ice. Still, heavier boots often mean more insulation and better waterproofing. Figure out what balance of warmth and durability vs. weight of the boot works for you.
Do I need special boots for ice fishing?
If you have a pair of fishing boots that you love and that you think will work well on the ice, you can wear those as well. Just keep in mind that ice fishing typically involves below freezing temperatures and slippery ice. If your standard fishing boots are warm enough and have strong enough traction, they may work just fine for ice fishing. If you aren’t certain, a quality pair of ice fishing boots can save you from frostbite or from slipping and either hurting yourself or breaking through the ice.
Should I wear ice cleats with these boots?
Some of these boots have great traction on the ice, but we recommend being extra cautious when it comes to safety on the ice. Ice cleats will significantly improve your grip when walking on ice, so it’s best to wear them as well.
Can I wear snowshoes with ice fishing boots?
Yes, as long as the snowshoes fit the boots. Check before buying to ensure that the straps on your snow shoes will fit with the best ice fishing boots for you.
How do I keep my feet warm when ice fishing?
First, invest in a high quality pair of warm ice fishing boots. Make sure the fit is comfortable and that you can still wear a thick pair of socks in the boots. Layering extra socks can help on extremely cold days, as well as tucking pants or bibs in so that cold winds don’t sneak in. On especially cold days, stay in an ice fishing shelter or use a heater to stay safe and warm.
Final Thoughts on the Best Ice Fishing Boots
A good pair of boots are absolutely essential for both warmth and safety while ice fishing. Bundle up out on the ice with an ice fishing suit, ice gloves, and other cold weather gear to prevent hypothermia or other illnesses, so you can enjoy your day of ice fishing!