Safety is a big concern when ice fishing. Fishing on slippery ice can be dangerous, which is why it’s best to buy a pair of ice cleats for your shoes. Ice cleats, also called spikes or ice grips, are attachments for your shoes that add extra traction for slippery surfaces like ice.
Without cleats, walking on ice can be a dangerous task for ice fishermen. Invest in a pair of ice cleats to improve your traction and grip while ice fishing.
Top-Rated Ice Grippers for Shoes
We’ve found the best ice cleats available, so you can choose your favorites and hit the ice faster. These ice cleats have great traction, fit well, and are perfect for ice fishers who need a strong grip to walk on the ice.
These are the Best Ice Traction Cleats:
- STABILicers Maxx Original Heavy Duty Ice Traction Cleat
- ICETrekkers Diamond Grip Traction Cleats
- Unigear Traction Cleats
- Kahtoola MICROspikes Traction System
- Hillsound Trail Crampon
- Yaktrax Pro Traction Cleats
- OuterStar Ice & Snow Grips
- Yaktrax Diamond Grip All-Surface Traction Cleats
- EnergeticSky Traction Ice Cleats
- OuterStar Traction Cleats
STABILicers Maxx Original Heavy Duty Ice Traction Cleat
STABILicers Maxx Original Ice Cleats are a favorite among ice fishermen. The Maxx 2 has been updated, so they are 25% lighter. An enhanced binding system makes them easy to strap onto ice boots and shoes, with SureFit polyester hook-and-loops. Full sole coverage and steel cleat placement ensure your safety on the ice, and they come with replacement cleats in case you lose some.
- Pair of aggressive traction cleats for working outside in all ice and snow conditions; ideal for postal carriers, delivery drivers, construction and road crews, and first responders
- STABIL Traction System features 15 heat-treated steel cleats, built into each stretch-to-fit thermoplastic elastomer full-sole binding for maximum surface contact
- Adjustable SureFit binding system includes a series of hook-and-loop straps that securely fasten to any boot or shoe from heel to toe, and hold strong even when wet
- Industrial traction aids are built to stand up to hard use, and are tested to remain flexible in frigid temperatures, down to -45 degrees Fahrenheit
- Size small fits shoe sizes W8.5-9.5,M6.5-7.5; replaceable threaded traction cleats are compatible with anti-spark brass cleats (sold separately); made in the USA; 90 day manufacturer’s warranty
ICETrekkers Diamond Grip Traction Cleats
ICETrekkers Diamond Grip Traction Cleats work great on the ice, so you can confidently walk on ice without falling. The rubber sling remains elastic even in cold weather, so these cleats will fit your shoes and keep the grips secure. They’re also self-clearing, so you don’t have to worry about snow or ice buildup on the bottom of your feet.
- Shoe grips designed to provide aggressive traction in winter walking conditions
- Made of case-hardened steel alloy and strung on steel aircraft cable
- Riveted to tough rubber sling that fits tennis shoes, boots and dress shoes
- Sling remains elastic even in subzero temperatures to keep grips secure
- Self-clearing design prevents snow and ice buildup
Unigear Traction Cleats
The Unigear Traction Cleats are another great pick, lightweight and tough for icy weather. These cleats use an ergonomic plate system with stainless steel chains and spikes to provide traction on the ice. The flexible TPE band is durable, so it will survive even the coldest days, but it is still stretchable enough to fit easily over shoes.
- Lighter and tougher, it helps to deliver unrivaled traction on icy winter trails. The main body of elastomer band is comprised of stretchy Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE) which is of flexibility, anti-abrasion as well as anti-tearing and could improve longevity for a quick and secure fit on a variety of footwear.
- The heavy duty crampons are best in class, with long-lasting soles which are equipped with heat-treated stainless steel cleats that bite into the slickest ice and snow.
- Balance Enhanced - feature 18 spikes per foot, with 12 spikes at the forefoot and 6 spikes at the heel. Each wide heel plate with 3 spikes is for secure downhill traction and each spike is 1/2” long. The spikes are made from heat-treated stainless steel for excellent durability and corrosion resistance.
- Full-sole coverage with cleats on heel and forefoot is to maintain traction through your natural stride and pursuing your passion for the outdoors. Easy to put on and take off with secure and adjustable straps.
- 60 Days 100% Satisfaction: If you are not 100% satisfied with this product for any reason, please contact customer service within 60 days, and we will immediately help you to solve the problem.
Kahtoola MICROspikes Traction System
Kahtoola MICROspikes Traction System is durable and easy to slip on and off in icy conditions. Twelve stainless steel spikes per foot provide great traction for ice fishing and other slippery terrain. These cleats easily and securely slip onto your shoes without the hassle of extra buckles or straps.
- Award-winning traction digs in and grabs icy terrain
- Great for winter trail running, hiking, and ice fishing
- 12 Stainless Steel spikes (3/8 inch length) per foot on all sizes
- Weight Per Pair: Small 11 oz., Medium 12 oz., Large 13 oz., Extra Large 14 oz.
- Please refer to Kahtoola sizing chart included in product images. 2 Year Warranty. Shoes not included.
Hillsound Trail Crampon
Hillsound Trail Crampons work great on the ice, and are made with high quality components. With 21 stainless steel spikes spread across a durable, heat molded harness, your safety on the ice is seriously improved. The harness is easy to take on and off, maintaining its elasticity even in the coldest temperatures. These ice cleats come with a two year warranty.
- GRIP ON PACKED SNOW AND ICE - 11 carbon steel 2/3 inch spikes that are dispersed across a broad area
- WARRANTY - These spikes are built to last and are covered by a category leading two-year warranty
- SECURE FIT - The elastomer harness fits a variety of footwear while the strap ensures a secure fit
- FUNCTIONAL DESIGN - An ergonomic plate system for traction, weight dispersion and reducing fatigue
- CARRY BAG INCLUDED - A convenient puncture-proof carry bag for storage before & after your adventure
Yaktrax Pro Traction Cleats
The Yaktrax Pro Traction Cleats are some of the best ice cleats on the market, made with premium materials and built to last. These affordable ice cleats are made with stainless steel coils and heavy duty rubber for 360 degree traction. Yaktrax Pro Traction Cleats are different in that they use coils rather than spikes, which cuts down on their weight without sacrificing traction.
- Traction cleats that fit over shoes for safely walking, hiking, or jogging on packed snow or ice
- Made of high-strength, abrasion-resistant 1.4 mm stainless-steel coils and heavy-duty rubber; secured to shoes with durable rubber straps
- Provides 360 degrees of traction on cold surfaces for all-direction stability
- Durable rubber foot frame with removable over-foot strap ensures an excellent fit
- Tested safe from breakage in temperatures as low as -41 degrees F; available in S, M, L, and XL sizes to fit most shoes
OuterStar Ice & Snow Grips
OuterStar Ice & Snow Grips are extremely affordable, so they may be the best ice cleats for anglers on a tight budget. Made with TPE thermoplastic elastomer, these cleats are lightweight and can even fold to fit in a pocket. Non-slip steel studs ensure you stay on your feet when walking over slippery ice. Ten extra steel studs are included as replacements.
- Fit for Men/Women,prevent slipping on snow and ice conditions
- Material: TPE thermoplastic elastomer+ special non-slip steel studs,odourless,flexible to -40 degree C
- The special Ground-gripping steel studs offer excellent traction on ice and snow
- Light weight constructions and folds up to fit in your pocket
- Easy on/off to fit boots, sneakers, casual and dress shoes£¬Great for ice fishing, hunting, walking, jogging, hiking, running, snow shoveling, etc
Yaktrax Diamond Grip All-Surface Traction Cleats
Another great pair of ice cleats from Yaktrax, the Diamond Grip All-Surface Traction Cleats are a top choice for ice anglers. The natural rubber sling is flexible but secure, even in sub-zero temperatures. Patented diamond beads made from steel grip in all directions to prevent slipping, and they swivel independently to prevent ice, snow, or dirt buildup.
- Durable traction cleats fit over shoes and boots to provide superior traction on snow and ice on all surfaces
- Patented Diamond Beads are made from case-hardened steel alloy strung on steel aircraft cable; hundreds of biting edges grip in all directions
- Natural rubber sling remains elastic and secure even in sub-zero temperatures; easy to put on and take off; comfortable for prolonged use
- Beads swivel independently, preventing buildup of snow and ice making them ideal for transitioning between surfaces like gravel, dirt, and concrete
- Available in S, M, L, XL, and 2XL to fit most shoes and boots, including insulated footwear
EnergeticSky Traction Ice Cleats
EnergeticSky Traction Ice Cleats are made with 19 multi-directional stainless steel spikes to dig into the ice. The silicone harness is flexible and durable, all the way down to negative 60 degrees. These ice cleats fit easily over most shoes, and are lightweight. The spikes are abrasion and rust-resistant, so they are sure to last.
- HIGH QUALITY STAINLESS STEEL SPIKES:Abrasion-resistant 19 multi-directional enhanced stainless steel spikes.Welding chain stronger,with more robust spikes.High Strength STAINLESS STEEL SPIKES provides excellent traction on a variety of icy surfaces.Strategic placement of spikes ensures equal distribution of weight for long-lasting comfort and durability.
- MORE SAFE AND DURABL:The link of this crampon use welding chain and more stronger stainless steel chain.This ice traction cleat would give you more confident while walking on the ice or snow.These ice cleats would not rust and would more firm and durable.
- REDUCE INJURY:Cover is made by Silicone,not the general TPR rubber,highly elastic and won't tear or snap.Tested to remain flexible to -60degrees F,full-sole coverage with cleats on heel and forefoot maintain traction through your normal stride.Aggressive cleats and treads prevent slips and falls on ice,snow,and wet pavement.
- EASY TO WEAR AND CARRY EASILY:Proprietary silicone provides a flexible,lightweight,all-day traction solution.They fit easily and securely over your own shoes or boots and fold small enough to keep in a pack,or in your car.
- WIDELY USED:Suitable for both male and female of any age of teenagers,adult,elders.Suitable for Outdoor Ice And Snow,hiking angled terrain,icy roads,ice driveway,dangerous sections of trail (ice covered boulders,woods ice mud,etc.)Great for winter trail running,hiking,and ice fishing.
OuterStar Traction Cleats
OuterStar Traction Cleats are another top choice to grip the ice. With 18 spikes per shoe, you’re sure to stay firmly planted on the ground. They’re easy to put on and off, made with elastic TPR rubber. These ice cleats are wear resistant, with strong rubber and impact resistant Manganese steel.
- DON¡¯T WORRT ABOUT SLIPPING & FALLING: 18 spikes Ice snow grips (more stable than 12/13 spikes) offer excellent traction and grip on snow, icy and slippery conditions. Feel free when shoveling snow, hiking and walking your dogs on trails etc.
- DURABLE & WEAR RESISTANT: Imported TPR rubber is highly elastic and won't tear or snap. Excellent toughness and strength for reuse. Stainless steel chain with 18 spikes made of high strength Manganese Steel help to bear impact and extrusion on complicated floor easily.
- EASY TO PUT ON & TAKE OFF: The ice snow cleats is easy on and off. Walk with confidence on any terrain, ice or snow walkways, driveways and slippery roads, mud sand, and wet grass.
- WARM GIFTS: Great for all kinds of sports shoes, winter hiking shoes and boots, mountaineering and snow boots, etc. Perfect Christmas gift for your wife, husband, neighbor, grandma, grandpa etc.
- FLEXIBILITY AND POCKET SIZE - Portable and light weight, they can be put into a small storage bag and carry around.
Ice Cleats – Buyers Guide
Your safety while ice fishing is an important consideration. When you’re walking over a frozen lake, there are two main safety concerns: the thickness of the ice, and how slippery it is. You should always check ice thickness before putting weight on it.
The best ice cleats will help with both of those safety concerns, however. A quality pair of ice grippers will prevent any slips or falls, which is vital to keep you from crashing through the ice on impact.
Learn what to look for in ice cleats so that you can confidently stroll across the ice without slipping.
Traction is the point of wearing ice cleats, so how well they grip the ice is the most important consideration. Look for ice cleats that have great reviews for walking on ice, and see what previous customers have to say about their grip.
Most ice cleats use steel spikes or studs to grip slippery surfaces. Look for products with quality materials like stainless steel – these will provide better traction, and they’ll last longer.
How your ice cleats fit is important: if they fall off easily or can’t fit over your ice fishing boots, they’re of no use to you. A good pair of ice cleats will come in various sizes, but should be flexible enough to fit over a slightly different size or shape shoe.
Ice cleats should fit comfortably. They shouldn’t squeeze your feet or shoes, nor should they be too tight to pull off. Cleats also can’t be loose, as they could fall off or may be less effective in keeping you safely planted on the ground.
Not only the material of the spikes, but the entire cleat should be made with high quality components. The harness should be durable – you don’t want your cleats falling or breaking off while you’re wearing them.
Most ice cleats use rubber or rubber-like materials for the harness, so they can stretch to fit your shoes. Rubber can lose elasticity in freezing temperatures, but the best ice cleats will use materials that maintain their flexibility and durability, regardless of temperature.
Wearing metal around your shoes can get heavy. The weight of ice cleats is something to consider, as you’ll have to walk around all day with them on your feet. If they’re too heavy, they can cause fatigue.
Look for a pair of ice cleats that are still durable and effective without weighing too much. There are plenty of lightweight ice grippers that won’t be too heavy, so you won’t be trudging through the ice with tired legs.
Ice Traction Cleats FAQ
Do you have more questions? Check out common questions relating to ice traction cleats.
What are cleats?
Cleats are devices that can be attached to shoes to add traction when walking on slippery or uneven surfaces. When it comes to ice fishing, cleats are made so that anglers can walk across the ice without worrying so much about slipping and falling.
Ice cleats are typically made with metal spikes to grip the ground, but different materials can be used as long as they help maintain balance and grip on the surface.
Do I need ice cleats for ice fishing?
If you have enough traction in your boots, you may opt out of wearing ice cleats. We recommend wearing cleats – a quality pair doesn’t cost too much, and they can save you from slipping and falling on the ice.
Falling while ice fishing is not ideal; it can lead to injury, you can break through the ice on impact, and it’s simply unpleasant. Ice cleats will greatly improve your traction, so falling won’t be as much of a concern. Cleats aren’t a requirement, but we would recommend investing in a pair for your safety.
Will they fit over my boots?
Check sizing before you order ice fishing cleats. Most should be flexible, so if you get an approximate size, they should still stretch to fit over your boots. If you boots are particularly bulky, you may want to go up a size.
Find Ice Grippers and More on Fishmasters
Research the best ice cleats before you buy, or choose from our top ice grippers for shoes! Always practice safety while ice fishing, and stock up on other safety gear like ice picks, or ice fishing apparel like bibs and ice suits to stay warm on cold days of winter fishing.