Fishing as a sport has been dominated by men for decades, so it’s no surprise that most of the waders for women are poorly designed. However, as the sport begins to garner some much needed female attention, equipment manufacturers are starting to take note.
We used to see women’s waders featuring reams of excess fabric, but that is thankfully becoming a rare sight in recent times. Designers and manufacturers are now taking the time to design some fit-for-purpose women’s fishing waders.
There’s no need for female anglers to go competing in oversized, ill-fitting men’s waders any longer. These days, there are various models to choose from that offer functionality, durability, and a shorter, slender fit for women.
The bad news is that most of the great options are not cheap – as expected. But you can find some great entry-level options if you are just starting out as an angler. However, choosing a wader is far simpler than picking women’s fishing gear. You run the risk of a bad case of buyer’s remorse and overspending if you don’t take the time to properly research all your options beforehand.
Best Women’s Waders
The right waders for you will depend on your preferred style of fishing, size, and more. Proper research will help women everywhere find the best possible fishing waders. So, what are the best women’s waders? Here’s our top 10!
These are the Top 9 Fishing Waders for Women:
- Redington Women’s WILLOW RIVER Waders
- Caddis Women’s Attractive Teal Deluxe Breathable Stocking Foot Chest Wader
- TideWe Bootfoot Chest Wader for Men and Women
- Orvis Women’s Ultralight Convertible Wader
- Caddis Women’s Green Neoprene Stocking Foot Wader
- Simms Tributary Stockingfoot Waders for Women
- FISHINGSIR Fishing Chest Waders for Men and Women
- Allen Brule River Bootfoot Chest Waders with Cleated Soles
- OXYVAN Waders – Waterproof Lightweight Fishing Waders
Redington Women’s WILLOW RIVER Waders
The Women’s Willow River Waders feature a great design and everything you’ll need from a pair of women’s waders. At the price point, these are some of the best fishing waders in terms of durability and comfort. The product quality is fantastic and you won’t be disappointed with this purchase.
- A water-resistant zip pocket.
- Reinforced knees.
- Neoprene boots.
- Fleece-lined pockets.
- Three-layer 100% nylon material.
- Comfortable for long wear.
- Pockets can keep your fingers warm.
- Limited color choice – only comes in grey.
These are one set of waders you can’t go wrong with despite its limited color range. They’re durable enough to withstand frequent use no matter the weather. Their built-in suspenders also offer users a fitted look, plus you can easily convert them to a belt by simply snapping them together.
- Boulder color
- Used for fishing
- Manufactured by Far Bank
- Part of the Redington line of fly fishing products
Caddis Women’s Teal Deluxe Waders
The Caddis brand has always been known for one thing – quality products. These waders are no different. Designed and then rigorously tested for defects, chances of these women’s fishing waders disappointing you are minimal. The Caddis women’s waders were designed completely with the female angler in mind.
- Adjustable suspenders.
- Breathable polyester material.
- Odor-free due to CaddisDry technology.
- Double layered knees.
- Loads of pockets.
- Designed to be worn for long periods of time.
- Odor preventive material.
- All-weather wader.
- Wide range of adult sizes.
- Lots of pockets mean plenty of storage space.
- Material is slightly heavy, so could be a bother when wearing for long periods of time.
Caddis probably has one of the best fishing waders out there. Their breathable polyester material makes it ideal for those cold mornings and hot evenings. Caddis also stock women’s plus size waders among its sizes.
- Polyester material with CaddisDry breathable technology
- Seams taped, glued, and stitched, foot taped inside and out
- Double layer reinforced knee area
- Quad pocket with storage and hand warmer
- Seams are taped, glued and stitched, foot seams are taped inside and out
TideWe Bootfoot Chest Wader
If you are looking for some great women’s chest waders, then TideWe Bootfoot is an obvious choice. Its 2-ply nylon material is not only waterproof, but it is 35% lighter than most other traditional waders. All-purpose functionality gives these women’s insulated chest waders with boots an extra edge.
- 2-ply nylon and PVC upper.
- Waterproof boots.
- Adjustable suspenders.
- Waterproof phone case.
- Lighter than traditional waders.
- Durable and rugged.
- 100% waterproof.
- A versatile design that can be used for fishing, farming, and hunting.
- Material texture takes some getting used to.
- Some reviewers say material has a strange smell.
Versatility and comfort are a given with the TideWe chest waders. These waders can also be used as a women’s hunting waders by virtue of how they were designed and their durability. It is also available in a wide range of sizes and colors which makes it an even more attractive pick for the discerning female angler.
- ATTENTION: Please Match the size selection to your Normal Shoe Size. If your Feet are Wide or you need to wear Thick Socks, please Choose ONE SIZE LARGER than usual.
- LIGHTWEIGHT: The waders is 35% LIGHTER than traditional rubber waders due to RUGGED nylon with two-ply upper fabric, making it easily fit into any backpack. You hardly feel tired when fighting with big fish!
- 100% WATERPROOF: Nylon-reinforeced PVC upper with waterproof boot attachment and taped seams guarantee 100% waterproof reliability. Water Intrusion Resistance processing helps seal out water and dirt during long days on the water.
- User Friendly Design: Adjustable H-back web suspenders with durable quick release buckles, flip-out chest pocket and top draw cord, delivers convenience. We proivde boot hanger to solve your drying problem. FREE 100% water-proof phone case is included to protect your belongings.
- ALL-PURPOSE: It is designed to keep you dry and warm on your fishing adventures, hunting, farming work, or any messy situation. Waders sizes range from 7 to 14 (Please refer size chart)
Orvis Ultralight Women’s Waders
The Orvis women’s waders are a popular choice in the fishing industry. These waders are ultralight due to the unique combination of materials used in their design. They also come with a specifically designed contoured fit for ladies. One great thing about these waders is the suspenders are designed in such a way that you can drop the upper area and convert them into women’s hip waders depending on the needs of the wearer.
- 4-layer material includes polyurethane.
- Neoprene boots.
- Belt and removable suspenders.
- Zippered pockets.
- Breathable material.
- Smart pockets for carrying necessities.
- Innovative 4-layer design keeps you warm when fishing in the cold.
- All-weather gear.
- Wide range of sizes and fit.
- Lacks interior pockets.
- Pockets also not built for warmth.
These Orvis waders are not only ultralight, but they are also cover the widest range of users and circumstances. If you are looking for ladies waders designed with women in mind, then you have a winner here.
- Material: [membrane/laminate] polyurethane (4-layer), [face fabric] nylon, [lining] nylon tricot, [booties] neoprene
- Belt Included: 1.5in stretch
- Suspenders: removable
- Pockets: 1 zippered chest, 1 zippered internal
- Gravel Guards: neoprene
Caddis Women’s Green Neoprene Stocking Foot Wader
If you are planning to fish in cold areas, these Caddis women’s neoprene waders are your best bet. The insulated neoprene material handles cold much better than most other materials, and it’s also breathable.
- Adjustable suspenders.
- 3.5mm thick neoprene material.
- Gravel guards.
- Fleece-lined pockets.
- Wide range of sizes for everyone.
- Great for cold weather.
- Double taped feet keep you dry and warm.
- Great price point.
- One year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Sizes run small.
The Caddis brand has been a steady hand in the volatile world of fishing gear manufacturing – you can trust in the reliability of the waders you’ll be getting. These beauties are warm, dry and will keep you comfortable no matter the weather.
- Comfortable green stocking foot neoprene waders with adjustable suspenders, fleece lined handwarmer pocket and sliding gravel guards.
- Works great in colder weather to keep you warm and comfortable while fishing, clamming or working in your pond.
- We use only the highest quality neoprene material in 3.5mm thickness.
- The feet are double taped glued and stitched to make sure your feet stay warm and dry.
- This family of waders has a size for most everyone including men, women and youth in most body sizes.
Simms Tributary Stockingfoot Waders for Women
The Stockingfoot Waders are great option for a beginner angler. Their female-specific fit and cut allow for natural mobility while wading through the water. For most first-timers, this is doubly important.
- 38 mm adjustable nylon waist belt.
- 3-layer upper and 4-layer bottoms.
- Neoprene stocking feet.
- Gravel guards.
- Anti-microbial finish.
- Front zippered smart pocket.
- Fleece-lined inner pockets.
- Anti-microbial finish prevents bad odors, fungi, and mildew.
- Multi-layered material keeps you warm and dry.
- Smart pockets for keeping tools within close range.
- SIMMS Wader warranty guarantees your product will be fixed if it fails due to a defect in materials or workmanship.
- Sizes run small.
- Limited size range.
Lightweight, durable, and comfortable. These SIMMS waders tick the right boxes. They will keep you warm and dry no matter the weather, all day long.
- WOMEN’S STOCKINGFOOT LIGHTWEIGHT WADERS: The Simms Women Waders feature a women's specific cut and fit for greater mobility and all-day comfort on the water. These waders also come with a 38 mm adjustable nylon waist belt, and adjustable shoulder straps. The approximate weight of these lightweight waders is 29.45 oz / 1.84 lb.
- MULTI-LAYERED FISHING WADERS: The river waders are designed with a 3-layer upper and a 4-layer bottom which provides added durability. The layers consist of breathable, waterproof polyester. The multiple layers are designed to keep you warm and dry all day long.
- UTILITY AND CONVENIENT – Anatomically engineered neoprene stockingfeet with anti-microbial finish. Equipped with two belt loops with 38 mm nylon waist belt, a reach-through fleece-lined hand warmer pocket, and a front zippered top stash pocket for keeping tools and fly boxes within close range. Tributary waders come ready to accept a Simms Tippet Tender Pocket or Waterproof Wader Pouch both of which are sold separately.
- ANTIMICROBIAL STOCKING FOOT WITH GRAVEL GUARDS: These stockingfoot waders have a built-in self-fabric gravel guard with an elastic bottom hem. The booties are made from anatomically engineered neoprene with an anti-microbial finish. This finish helps prevent the growth and build-up of bacteria, mold, mildew and bad odors.
- THE SIMMS WADER WARRANTY: If your wader leaks in the first 60 days of ownership, you may return it to Simms for a replacement of the same model and size. If your wader leaks within the first year of ownership, we’ll repair Simms will repair it at no charge. If your wader is in need of repair after your first year of ownership, Simms charges a flat fee of $60 for evaluation, repair, testing of repairs and return shipping back to you
FISHINGSIR Fishing Chest Waders
Affordable but awesome is our assessment of the FISHINGSIR chest waders. These waders can handle most of what you throw at them while keeping you warm and dry. They are also versatile enough to be used for a range of activities including fishing, farming, and hunting.
- 2-ply waterproof fabric.
- Waterproof boot attachment.
- Adjustable suspenders.
- Chest pocket.
- 2 front D-rings.
- 10% lighter than traditional waders.
- D-rings allow you attach your accessories.
- Soft but durable.
- Free waterproof phone case.
- One year quality assurance.
- Material smells of plastic.
- Some reviewers complain that their boots leaked water.
- May accumulate moisture after long use.
- Boot sizes run small.
Generally, these are great waders to buy and they would perform well enough in any situation. The quality assurance means you can change it within a year once you discover any material or workmanship defects.
Allen Brule River Bootfoot Chest Waders
With these Allen Brule chest waders, you’ll be ready for any form of cold water fishing – even if it’s your first time out with the currents. These Brule waders are constructed using durable nylon. This gives you the same protection as rubber, but is more lightweight. This allows for natural mobility during fishing and retrieval of the catch.
- Cleated soles.
- 2-ply material.
- Adjustable suspenders.
- Durable material.
- More of a women’s hip waders than chest waders.
- Boots need insoles.
- Sizes run small.
- Nylon fabric feels cheap.
The cleated soles on the boots of the Brule chest waders really sets them on a league of their own. They’ll give you amazing traction as you wade through the water to your angling zone.
- Cleated soles with 2-ply upper
- Rugged nylon construction is lighter than rubber
- Adjustable web suspenders
- Drawstring top
- Lightweight, comfortable, and dry.
OXYVAN Waders Waterproof Lightweight Fishing Waders with Boots
The OXYVAN waders are some of the best waders for going surf fishing on the market. They are all-purpose, lightweight waders that come much stronger and durable than most traditional waders. They are made using a proprietary mix of neoprene, PVC, and nylon.
- 70D nylon and PVC material mix.
- Non-slip sole.
- Adjustable belt.
- Easy-on buckle.
- Inside pockets.
- Versatile – can be used for fishing, hunting, and other outdoor activities.
- Shoes are made using thick PVC.
- Easily adjustable belts and straps.
- 35% lighter than traditional waders.
- Shoes require thick socks.
The OXYVAN waders are durable and are a great buy considering their price to performance ratio. The thick PVC soles mean you can trudge through most river beds without worrying about falling or slipping over a muddy surface.
- DURABLE - It made of neoprene, 70D nylon and PVC mixed material provides muck waders's excellent durability and waterproofness, well-stitched and welding techniques for thermoplastics makes no water leaking.
- LIGHTWEIGHT - new 70Dnylon and PVC material weighs 35% lighter than traditional fabric booted waders, more flexible in water and less energy spent.
- CONVENIENT - easy-on buckle and adjustable belt help you put on more easily, inside pocket with hook & loop can store your belonging and there’s no chance of falling out when you bend to hunt.
- SAFE - non-slip sole with thicken PVC keep you safe in the water, lighter material and adjustable belts help a lot with your balance control.
- ALL PURPOSE - this durable fishing wader can be used in many situations like fishing, hunting, farm working or other messy situations.
Choosing Women’s Waders – Buyer’s Guide
Whether you’re looking at Patagonia women’s waders or the Orvis women’s waders, there are a few common features you need to look out for when buying waders for women.
Let’s go over our top recommendations:
The Material – Breathable vs Non-Breathable
Various materials are used in making fishing waders, and each material has its advantages and disadvantages. The conditions (water type and climate) in which you fish and how you fish should play a major role in the materials you choose when purchasing a wader. Generally, waders are usually either non-breathable or breathable.
Breathable materials that are also waterproof, lightweight, and do a great job of allowing your body to cool down faster when you sweat are ideal for warmer days. This means you stay dry and cool underneath your waders no matter the weather condition. However, these materials are usually more expensive. On the flip side, they make for some of the most comfortable and durable waders you can get for your fishing adventures, and are worth the money to remain warm and dry.
Non-breathable materials such as PVC, neoprene, and rubber are more affordable and also more durable. They work best if you fish in icy-cold water or colder climates/regions like those during ice fishing season. Unfortunately, they can be heavy and limit your movement while fishing. If you usually fish out in milder waters, breathable waders may be your best bet so as not to restrict your movement.
Style – Chest Waders vs Hip Waders
There are three main styles of waders to choose from depending on your preference and height.
- Hip waders: These waders stop at your belt area. Women’s hip waders are best used when angling in shallow waters as they only keep you dry from your feet to the hip. The ideal time to use these is during the summer fishing season.
- Waist waders: These waders extend upwards to your waist region. You should use a waist wader when fishing in waters with some current.
- Chest waders: Chest waders extend all the way to your chest. They are similar to work overalls and feature buckles so you can adjust the sizing over your shoulders. These are great for both shallow and deep water fishing and are the most commonly used waders.
Features – Do Your Waders Have These Must-Have Features?
No matter the climate you fish in or any other specific requirements you might have, there are some basic must-have features every pair of waders must have to ensure you are safe while fishing.
Some of these features are:
- Gravel guards: Gravel guards cover the top of your boots, and prevent sand from getting into your boots while in water. You don’t want to imagine how uncomfortable it is when sand and pebbles slip into your boots.
- Reinforced knees: It’s quite possible that you’ll need to kneel or lose your balance in the water, therefore it’s important that your waders have knee protection. This not only protects your knees from injuries (which can be extremely painful and limit your mobility) but also means that your waders are protected from wear and tear.
- Pockets: Your waders should have lots of pockets. These pockets help with storage of the various tools you will need while fishing. It also means you can stay in one place instead of shuttling between the shore and your fishing area. Waterproof pockets are also a great option as that means you can carry your phone along while fishing – you never know when you might need to call someone urgently. If you fish in cold climates or cold weather, then fleece-lined pockets that keep your hands warm are a must-have.
- Secure fit: A poorly fitted chest or waist wader is a nightmare for any angler. It not only limits your movement, but it can also be very uncomfortable to wear. Some might even cause skin abrasions and irritation. It can be tough getting a pair of waders that fit you perfectly, but spend some time comparing your measurements with the wader manufacturer’s fit. In some cases, simply buy a size up. However, ensure you don’t end up getting a wader that is too big. The extra material can easily tear or get caught on bushes or other hazards while fishing.
- Buckles and straps: Any adjustment features on your waders must be made from high-quality materials. They should also be easy to operate as they play a huge role in your safety. If it’s a bit difficult to adjust your buckles and straps, consider looking for a different pair.
Women’s fishing waders are a hot topic in the fishing community. Every manufacturer now claims to have the best fishing waders for women. However, when picking a pair, ensure they fit, that you are comfortable with the material and style, and they have the basic features you need to ensure your safety in the water. Check out the best waders for kids as well so the whole family can enjoy a fishing trip.