If you’re going fishing, there’s a good chance you might get wet. That’s why most anglers wear fishing waders – waterproof apparel that keeps them at least partially dry. There are a lot of options on the market for fishing waders, so finding the best ones – and the right ones for you – can be difficult.
Years ago, waders were made primarily of rubber, which does a good job of keeping you dry but can be stiff and heavy, especially on warm days. Today, there are high tech materials for waders, whether you need breathable waders, cold weather waders, and so on.
Find the best fishing waders for your needs.
Best Waders for Fishing
With so many options on the market, it can be difficult to find the right pair for your needs. We’ve done the research and broken down the best fishing waders by category: chest waders, hip waders, women’s waders, and so on. Check out our top fishing waders for each category, or click through for the complete top 10 list for type of waders.
Check out these Top-Rated Fishing Waders in 2020
- Best Chest Waders: TideWe Bootfoot Chest Wader
- Best Hip Waders: Frogg Toggs Bull Frogg Bootfoot Hip Wader
- Best Waders for Women: Redington Women’s WILLOW RIVER Waders
- Best Kids Waders: OAKI Toddler & Children’s Neoprene Waterproof Fishing Waders for Kids
- Best Fly Fishing Waders: Simms Tributary Stockingfoot Fly Fishing Chest Waders
- Best Camo Waders: Foxelli Neoprene Chest Waders
- Best Surf Fishing Waders: Compass 360 Deadfall Breathable Chest Wader
- Best Breathable Waders: Adamsbuilt Truckee River Wader
TideWe Bootfoot Chest Wader
Best Chest Waders
Chest waders offer the most protection, covering anglers from toe to chest. TideWe Bootfood Chest Waders are our top pick, as they are durable, lightweight, and affordable.
- 2-ply nylon, reinforced with PVC
- Adjustable H-back suspenders with quick-release buckles
- Taped seams and Water Intrusion Resistance Technology
- Waterproof boots
- Waterproof phone case included
- Full body coverage (up to chest)
- Only available in one color
- Some customers notice a “smell” when first unpackaged, but it fades
The TideWe Bootfoot Chest waders are our favorite chest waders on the market today, as well as the best budget waders under $100. They are sturdy, 100% waterproof, and easily adjustable to fit your body.
- 【Attention】Please Match the size selection to your Normal Shoe Size. If your Feet are Wide or you need to wear Thick Socks, please Choose ONE SIZE LARGER than usual.
- 【Lightweight】The waders is 35% LIGHTER than traditional rubber waders due to RUGGED nylon with two-ply upper fabric, making it easily fit into any backpack. You hardly feel tired when fighting with big fish!
- 【100% Waterproof】Nylon-reinforeced PVC upper with waterproof boot attachment and taped seams guarantee 100% waterproof reliability. Water Intrusion Resistance processing helps seal out water and dirt during long days on the water.
- 【User Friendly Design】Adjustable H-back web suspenders with durable quick release buckles, flip-out chest pocket and top draw cord, delivers convenience. We proivde boot hanger to solve your drying problem. FREE 100% water-proof phone case is included to protect your belongings.
- 【All-Purpose】It is designed to keep you dry and warm on your fishing adventures, hunting, farming work, or any messy situation. Waders sizes range from 5 to 14 (Please refer size chart)
Frogg Toggs Bull Frogg Bootfoot Hip Wader
Best Hip Waders
Hip waders are perfect for anyone who doesn’t plan on wading too deep. Frogg Toggs Bull Frogg Bootfoot Hip Waders are the perfect solution for lightweight hip waders for shallow wading.
- All the seams are taped and vulcanized to ensure strength
- 3-ply canvas is tough, long-lasting, and the rubber is vulcanized
- Belt leashes are adjustable and have quick-release buckles
- Adjustable hip drawcord
- Felt or cleated outsole
- Boots have a heel kicker, foam cushioning, steel shank, hard toe cap, and wool felt mid.
- Tough and durable
- Keep you dry and warm
- Ensure comfort even in cold water
- Waist-high waders may not give enough coverage for those who like to push their limits during an adventure.
If you’re looking for hip waders, these are your best option. The boots have great traction, they’re waterproof, durable, and easily adjustable.
- Tough, durable 3-ply canvas and vulcanized rubber construction
- All seams taped and vulcanized for strength
- Adjustable belt leashes with quick-release buckles
- Adjustable hip drawcord
- Boots feature foam cushioning, wool felt mid, steel shank, hard toe cap and heel kicker
Redington Women’s WILLOW RIVER Waders
Best Women’s Waders
Redington Women’s WILLOW RIVER Waders are perfect for the female fisherman in your life! These chest waders are made with high quality, durable materials and they fit great.
- A water-resistant zip pocket.
- Reinforced knees.
- Neoprene boots.
- Fleece-lined pockets.
- Three-layer 100% nylon material.
- Comfortable for long wear.
- Pockets to keep your fingers warm.
- Limited color choice – only comes in grey.
If men’s waders don’t fit well, try the Redington Women’s WILLOW RIVER WADERS. These women’s waders are durable, 100% waterproof, and great for all weather conditions.
- Boulder color
- Used for fishing
- Manufactured by Far Bank
- Part of the Redington line of fly fishing products
OAKI Toddler & Children’s Neoprene Waterproof Fishing Waders for Kids
Best Kid’s Waders
The OAKI Kids Fishing Waders are perfect for kids – they’re easy to clean, waterproof, and come in three fun colors for boys and girls.
- Camo, Pink Camo, and Tan designs
- Chest high
- Multiple Pockets
- Thinsulate insulation in the boots
- Made with natural materials
- Safety belt included
- Easy cleaning and care
- Fits kids of all sizes
- Easy to put on
- Reports of inaccurate sizing
OAKI Toddler & Children’s Neoprene Waterproof Fishing Waders for kids are one of the best kids waders, made with premium materials and plenty of useful safety features.
Simms Tributary Stockingfoot Fly Fishing Chest Waders
Best Fly Fishing Waders
Simms Tributary Stockingfoot Fly Fishing Chest Waders are perfect for fly fishermen. They are super durable and waterproof while also remaining waterproof.
- 3 layer upper and 4 layer lower construction
- Fleece-lined hand pockets
- Neoprene waders with gravel guards
- Anti-microbial finish
- Multi-layered for secure waterproofing
- Handwarmer pocket
- Zippered front pocket for storage
- Lightweight (2.26lb)
- Chest-high, but adjustable to waist high waders
- Inside chest pouch and other accessories sold separately
These are some of the best fly fishing waders, perfect for wading over long periods of time because of their light weight. They are comfortable and durable.
- DESIGN – Our Mens Tributary Stockingfoot wader offers a breathable and waterproof 3-Layer upper and 4-Layer lower. Built with proven Simms durability, these dry, breathable fly fishing chest waders promote natural mobility while you negotiate steep trails and deep rivers
- PERFORMANCE – Great for any season. Suspenders and opposing male and female buckles allow a quick waist high conversion for the warm days on the water. Plus a reach-through fleece lined hand warmer pocket for trips in the cold season
- UTILITY AND CONVENIENT – Anatomically engineered neoprene stockingfeet. Equipped with two belt loops with 38 mm nylon waist belt, a reach-through fleece-lined hand warmer pocket, and a front zippered top stash pocket for keeping tools and fly boxes within close range. Tributary waders come ready to accept a Simms Tippet Tender Pocket or Waterproof Wader Pouch both of which are sold separately.
- COMFORT – Stay active, stay comfortable – why compromise? Fishing waders come with a self-fabric gravel guard and gathered elastic bottom hem - designed to improve articulation and mobility
- THE SIMMS WADER WARRANTY: If your wader leaks in the first 60 days of ownership, you may return it to Simms for a replacement of the same model and size. If your wader leaks within the first year of ownership, we’ll repair Simms will repair it at no charge. If your wader is in need of repair after your first year of ownership, Simms charges a flat fee of $60 for evaluation, repair, testing of repairs and return shipping back to you
Foxelli Neoprene Chest Waders
Best Camouflage Waders
If you’re in need of camo hunting waders, look no further. The Foxelli Neoprene Chest Waders are comfortable, durable, waterproof, and have other great features.
- Anti-slip boots
- Adjustable elastic with quick-release buckles and double-layer knee pads
- Extra pockets
- Double-stitched, taped seams to prevent water from leaking into the boots
- 100% waterproof neoprene
- Lots of space and rings to clip and attach gear
- Easy to put on and get off
- Sizes run small
These are some of the best hunting waders available, with lots of useful features, quality materials, and a good pair of fishing boots attached.
- CONSTRUCTED FOR COMFORT – Foxelli Fishing Waders with Boots are a breeze to put on and take off, and provide all the flexibility you’ll need while hunting or fishing. Chest suspenders have an adjustable elastic for finding the perfect fit, with quick release buckles that can be instantly detached. Double-layer knee pads have reinforced padding for added protection.
- DAMAGE RESISTANT – These men’s fishing waders are highly resistant to any type of damage, including rips and tears. Its seams are glued, stitched and taped for supreme durability. Guaranteed for premium performance, our waders are carefully tested before hitting the market. The 100% waterproof 4 mm neoprene material also has excellent insulation properties. Nylon carrying bag is included for easy transport of your waders.
- A+ ADVANTAGES – When you go hunting or fishing, there are lots of accessories that need to be carried. Our fishing waders are specially designed to meet this need. There are D-rings for clipping your gear, an exterior chest pock for holding accessories, and an inner mesh pocket for storing small belongings. Included nylon belt has 2 carabiners to conveniently attach fishing gear, and clip it to the waders. Chest pocket doubles as a hand warmer so you can stay warm, dry and comfortable.
- BETTER BOOTS – Lightweight PVC boots have an anti-slip sole for the best traction on muddy or slippery surfaces. With neoprene lining inside they can be worn with socks or without, and are easy to put on and take off. They keep you sturdy on your feet, without sacrificing your comfort, during any hunting or fishing excursion.
- RISK-FREE PURCHASE - Don’t worry about missing Amazon’s 30-day return window. We offer a 120-day, no questions asked returns together with our One Year Warranty. If - FOR WHATEVER REASON – you don’t like it, we’ll make sure to take care of that. Buy with confidence!
Compass 360 Deadfall Breathable Chest Wader
Best Surf Fishing Waders
Compass 360 Deadfall Breathable Chest Waders offer plenty of coverage but are still lightweight, so anglers maintain dexterity in the shallow waves without overheating or feeling restricted.
- 4-ply nylon and polyester construction
- Neoprene booties
- Shin and knee reinforcements
- 2-in-1 chest pocket
- Ergonomically designed booties
- Some complaints of leaky seams
The Compass 360 Deadfall Breathable Fishing Waders are great surf fishing waders, made with durable 4-ply nylon and with other useful features.
- DESIGN – Made from a premium, highly water resistant, breathable, 4-layer fabric. The fabric, seam tape, Durable Water Resistance (DWR) coating, and double reinforced knees and shins on the lower makes this wader one of the best in the business.
- FEATURES/BENEFITS – Made with contour fit, double taped, 4mm 100% neoprene booties that provide warmth, protection, and comfort for your feet. 4-layer, abrasion resistant gravel guards with lace hooks designed to keep rocks and debris out of your shoes.
- EXTRAS – Zippered front chest pocket. Flip-out storage pocket inside of the wader. Equipped with belt loops and durable wading belt with quick release buckle. Built with an adjustable chest drawcord and fully adjustable elastic suspenders.
- WADER CARE – Let your wader dry completely between uses if at all possible. Wash wader with cold soapy water. NEVER put your wader in the dryer. It is best to store your waders in a cool, dry place by hanging them from the feet instead of the suspenders.
- WARRANTY – Compass 360 products are covered for one year from the date of purchase against manufacturer’s defects. Compass 360 is not responsible for normal wear and tear, commercial use, accidents, abuse, modification, misuse, or improper care.
Adamsbuilt Truckee River Wader
Best Breathable Waders
These lightweight waders are perfect for warm weather or for long days of fishing. Adamsbuilt Truckee River Waders are easily adjustable and durable.
- Quick-release belts and straps
- 4-layer knee reinforcement
- Lined hand warmer
- Microfiber fabric
- Gravel guard
- Light and comfortable build
- Ability to adjust
- Complaints of loose-fitting booties
If you need breathable fishing waders, try Adamsbuilt Truckee River Waders. They are lightweight and breathable without sacrificing durability.
- Quick-release belt and adjustable suspenders included
- Premium microfiber fabric extremely light and comfortable
- Four layer reinforced knes and seats for added durability
- Attached Gravel Guards
- Top drawcord, inside fl ip-out accessory pocket and lined hand warmer pocket
Fishing Waders Buying Guide: How To Choose Fishing Waders
Not sure how to choose the right waders for your fishing needs? Read on to learn what to look for when you’re buying fishing waders. Consider the following factors before you make a purchase.
Fishing Wader Style
The style of waders you choose will depend on how much you plan on wading. If you only expect to get your toes wet, you might not even need waders – fishing boots will do the trick. If you do need waders, you can choose between chest and hip waders.
Chest waders look like overalls, as they come all the way up from your feet to your chest. If you plan on going deep into the water, you’ll want chest waders for added coverage. Chest waders are typically the more popular style.
Hip waders are essentially super-high boots. These waders cover your feet and legs up to your hips. They typically attach to a wading belt that keep them held up to your hips. If you don’t plan on going far into the water, but need more coverage than just boots, hip waders are a great option. They’re also lightweight and take up less space, since there’s less material used.
Another important consideration is the feet of your waders. There are two types of waders, in terms of the boots: bootfoot waders and stockingfoot waders.
Bootfoot waders include boots. The boots are built into the waders, and the pants of the waders extend out of the boots without allowing any water in.
Stockingfoot waders do not include boots. They are made with booties, usually made of neoprene, that are 100% waterproof but not suitable as your only shoes. When you wear stockingfoot waders, you have to wear fishing boots over the stocking booties.
Choosing between bootfoot and stockingfoot waders will depend on your preferences. If you already have a pair of fishing boots that you love, you may want to choose stockingfoot waders to pair with them. Otherwise, bootfoot is typically the more popular option, as it keeps your wading outfit connected and keeps water out more thoroughly.
Wader Material and Temperature
The next factor to consider is the material of your fishing waders. Depending on the temperature when you’re fishing, you’ll want different materials.
In cold weather, opt for warmer waders made of Thinsulate, neoprene, or other warming materials. Insulation will keep you warm in frigid temperatures.
For warmer weather fishing, look for lightweight, breathable waders. Since waders cover a large portion of your body, you need them to allow enough airflow so that you won’t overheat. Lightweight materials include nylon, PVC, or polyester. Air vents or mesh lining can also improve breathability.
Check out the materials used for your waders before buying and ensure that you won’t be too hot or cold while wearing them.
Waders typically come in muted colors. Color may not be important to you, but if you plan to hunt in waders you may want to opt for camouflage waders or a natural color like green or brown. Often, kids waders come in more assorted colors.
Size and Fit
Wader sizing can be difficult. Chest waders are a full body piece of clothing, so finding a pair that fits you perfectly may not be easy.
When choosing bootfoot waders, be sure that the boots fit first – the rest can be adjusted. Check reviews to see if waders typically run smaller or larger, and use measurements to get an idea of the best size for you. When in doubt, pick the larger size – you may want to layer clothes underneath the waders, so a little extra room will be useful.
High quality waders are typically adjustable somehow. They have adjustable suspenders, straps, belts, and other features to help anglers fit into the waders more securely.
As with any purchase, price is always a factor. Luckily, there are high quality waders that can fit within any budget. With more expensive waders, you may get better extra features and improved quality, but there are plenty of great waders under $100.
Fishing Wader FAQ
Find answers to common questions about waders.
Are fishing waders waterproof?
Yes, fishing waders should be waterproof. The point of wearing fishing waders is to stay dry, so if your waders aren’t waterproof then the purpose is defeated. If your fishing waders are letting in water, they may be a low quality non-waterproof material, or there may be a tear in the fabric.
How do you size waders?
Each brand and pair of waders is different in terms of size. Most should have measurements listed, so the best way to figure out what size to order is to take your measurements. Use a tape measure to get an accurate measurement of your size so that you can order the best possible fit for your waders.
What should I wear under waders?
What you wear under waders will depend on the weather and your personal preference. In cold seasons, you may want to layer up underneath your waders for extra warmth. We recommend wearing a moisture wicking shirt or pants as your first layer, regardless of the temperature. That way, if you start to get warm the moisture will be wicked away from your skin, keeping you comfortable and dry.
Do you wear shoes with waders?
If you choose stockingfoot waders, you should wear wading boots or shoes on top of the booties. Bootfoot waders already have boots attached, so you don’t need to wear any other shoes.
How long should waders last?
A high quality pair of waders should last at least a few years, with proper care. Choose a pair of waders made from premium materials and check reviews to see how durable they are based on other customer’s experience. If you take good care of your waders, they should last a while.
How do you wash waders?
How you wash waders will depend on the material they are made of. Generally speaking, water and a mild soap are typically safe for most materials. Read the product specifications or check the manufacturer’s website for more specific cleaning instructions for your specific pair of waders.
Final Thoughts on the Best Fishing Waders
Choose from the best fishing waders to prepare for next fishing season! These waders are top-rated for quality materials, useful features, durability, and more. Find all your fishing apparel here on Fishmasters.