Want to learn how to tie your own flies for fly fishing? Tying flies is easy and less expensive than buying them each time you go fishing. First, you’ll need a fly tying kit with all the proper tools though!
Fly tying tool kits come with the tools you’ll need to make your own flies, and many also come with fly material as well. Check out the best fly tying kits and learn how to make flies at home!
Top 9 Fly Tying Kits
- Orvis Fly Tying Kit
- Scientific Anglers Deluxe Fly Tying Kit
- WETFLY Deluxe Fly Tying Kit with Book and DVD
- Creative Angler Deluxe Fly Tying Kit
- DDF Beginner Fly Tying Kits
- Loon Outdoors Fly Tying Tool Kit
- Dr. Slick Fly Tying Tools Gift Set with Fly Box Combo
- SF Fly Fishing Tying Tools
- Colorado Anglers Z797 Wooden Fly Tying Standard Tool Kit
Orvis is one of the biggest names in fly fishing, so it’s no surprise that they make one of the best fly tying kits around. This tool kit includes a high quality vise, ceramic lined bobbin, scissors, bodkin, half-hitch tool, hackle plier, hairstacker, fly head cement, and a whip finishing tool. It also comes with materials to make the flies, including spooled UTC, ultra wire, non-lead wire, tinsel, floss, and beads. On top of that, it comes with a DVD with basic tool instructions as well as specific instructions for 16 fly tying patterns. It comes in a well organized case.
Scientific Anglers Deluxe Fly Tying Kit
The Scientific Anglers Deluxe Fly Tying Kit is another great option, made with high quality materials. It comes in an organized carry case that keeps all tools in place. This tool kit has everything you’ll need to create wet flies, dry flies, nymphs, and streamers. It has a fly-tying vise, bobbin and threader, scissors, hackle pliers, hooks, thread, tinsel, wire, dubbing, hackle feathers, and marabou. The kit also comes with an “Introduction to Fly Fishing” DVD.
- Made of highest quality material
- Manufacturer: Scientific Anglers
- Scientific Anglers deluxe fly tying kit
- Great for anyone interested in learning the art of fly tying
- Includes quality tools, hooks and materials all packaged in a deluxe travel case
WETFLY Deluxe Fly Tying Kit with Book and DVD
The WETFLY Deluxe Fly Tying Kit is perfect for fly anglers, from beginners to advanced skill levels. It has all the essential fly tying tools, including a AA vise with a C-clamp, scissors, hackle pliers, hair stacker, bobbin, and threader. It also comes with hooks, thread, chenille, yarn, and natural materials like dubbing, marabou, elk hair, pheasant tail, and peacock herl. This fly tying kit comes with both a book and a DVD to help you learn how to tie various patterns.
- Deluxe Fly Tying Kit with Book and DVD
- Everything you need to start tying flies (Vice, scissors, hackle pliers, etc)
- This Deluxe Fly Tying Kit is very versatile, perfect for the beginner to the intermediate tier.
- High quality materials included (Hackle, dubbing, chenille, etc)
- Great gift idea
Creative Angler Deluxe Fly Tying Kit
The Creative Angler Deluxe Fly Tying Kit has everything you need to tie your own flies. It comes with a super AA vise, scissors, hackle pliers, bobbin and threader, hair stacker, rotating whip finisher, and more. Materials for making flies are also included, like dubbing, marabou, wire, chenille, hackle, and other natural materials for flies. The Creative Angler Fly Tying Kit also includes an instructional book and DVD to teach you how to create various flies.
- NEW items added to the Creative Angler Deluxe Fly Tying Kit. This is our most popular Fly Tying Kit. Everything you need to start tying flies (Vise, scissors, hackle pliers, etc). High quality materials included.
- Everything you need to start tying flies (Super AA Vise, scissors, hackle pliers, etc)
- This Deluxe Fly Tying Kit is very versatile, perfect for the beginner to the intermediate tier.
- High quality materials included (Saddle hackle, marabou, dubbing, chenille, etc)
- Are you looking for the best fly tying kit money can buy? The Creative Angler Deluxe Fly Tying Kit may be just what you are looking for. This kit features both an instructional DVD and illustrated book covering basic fly tying techniques as well as step by step instructions on how to tie several fly patterns that you can tie with the provided materials. The kit includes a standard fixed jaw vise with a C-clamp.
DDF Beginner Fly Tying Kits
If you’re new to fly fishing, the DDF Beginner Fly Tying Kit will help you quickly learn how to tie flies! This beginner’s kit comes with a rotating whip finisher, super AA vise with a clamp, scissors, bodkin, bobbin, and tying instructions for various patterns. It also comes with plenty of saltwater fly fishing materials for flies, like stainless steel hooks, tubing, beads, holographic flash, and much more.
- Super AA Fly Tying Vise & Tying Instructions for multiple patterns.
- Assorted Stainless Hooks, Holographic Flash, Super Hair, Crystal Mirror Flash, Saltwater Saddle,
- CCT Body Fur, Peacock Herl, Chinchella Saddle, Juicy Legs, Cactus Chenille, Everglow Tubing,
- Foam Popper Heads, Dumbell Eyes, V-Rib, Bead Chain, Midge Rainbow Flash and MORE!
- Fly Tying Tools: Bodkin, MFC Arrowhead - Scissors 3.5" Straight, Bobbin & Rotating Whip Finisher
Loon Outdoors Fly Tying Tool Kit
For those who only need tools, the Loon Outdoors Fly Tying Tool Kit is a great option with high quality, durable tools. These fly tying tools include Ergo brand scissors, arrow point scissors, bobbin, bodkin, whip finisher, dubbing brush, and a Gator dubbing spinner. All of the tools are safely packaged in a heavy duty travel case. While fly materials are not included, these tools are some of the best and work great for both beginner and experienced fly anglers.
Dr. Slick Fly Tying Tools Gift Set with Fly Box Combo
Another great option, the Dr. Slick Fly Tying Tools are a great gift because of their quality components and aesthetically pleasing look. Experienced fly fishermen will appreciate the quality and craftsmanship of these tools. Packaged in a large fly box, this kit includes everything you’ll need to tie flies, short of the fly material itself. All tools undergo a 6-step inspection process, developed by a surgeon who wanted to replicate surgery’s specialized tools but for fly fishing.
- Dr Slick fly tying tools are easy to use, durable and esthetically pleasing.
- Dr Slick fly tying kit is conveniently packaged in the foam lining in the back of a large fly box.
- You get the most essential fly tying tools geared toward both the novice and the expert fly tyer all in one gift set.
- All Dr Slick instruments undergo a 6-step inspection process to ensure the highest quality possible.
- Perfect as a gift, a fly tying tool kit for beginners or a personal gift to yourself.
SF Fly Fishing Tying Tools Gear Assortment
The SF Fly Fishing Tying Tools is another solid option, with all the tools you’ll need to make your own flies at home or on the go. This seven piece set comes with a bobbin threader with a half-hitch tool, a whip finisher rotary, hackle pliers, scissors, and more. The kit comes in a small, soft case that is easy to pack and keeps all the tools safely positioned inside with elastic strips. All tools are ergonomically designed with premium components like stainless steel and brass.
- Classic Set: 7-piece knotted set, each individual tool has its own use, conbines both reality and classic element.
- Appearance: the case of the tying kit is black with contrasting hue of the interior red color adds the beauty. The built-in red flannel never scratch the knotter.
- Protection: the built-in elastic strip of the knot tying kit fixes the knotters to a certain extent, protecting the knot kits from shaking even in a bumpy truck.
- Function: featured hook-shaped sharpener, wire cutter, clamp eye cleaner / knot knotter and knotter combination, D-ring for easy connection.
- Service: SF, dedicated to provide best quality and service for anglers who love fishing, has specialized in fishing tackle supplies 5 years. Any question, please feel free to contact us. We are honorable to support you
Colorado Anglers Z797 Wooden Fly Tying Standard Tool Kit
The Fly Tying Tool Kit from Colorado Anglers is another good pick for fly fishermen. This toolkit comes with a vise with a base, bobbin, threader, bodkin, dubbing twister, hackle pliers, scissors, and a whip finisher. They all come in a nice looking and convenient wooden case. The Colorado Anglers Fly Tying Kit comes with a tying guide for beginners. It is portable and can be used anywhere, and the top of the wooden case makes a great work station while you tie.
- For Beginners and Pros: a fishing kit with built in base, vise and seven tools of high grade material, all the basic equipment needed to make flies no matter how advanced you are
- The standard combo includes eight tools: Vise with base, Bobbin, Threader, Bodkin, Dubbing Twister, Hackle Pliers, Scissors, Whip Finisher all in a nice convenient wooden carrying case
- Perfect starter kit or travelers kit. Very compact and lightweight, has all the tools necessary to get into fly tying. With it's sturdy case this kit can be thrown in a backpack and taken on a road trip or backpacking trip.
- Use It Anywhere: the built in base keeps the vise sturdy and means this portable set can be used anywhere without having to clip the vise onto something, while you work you have all of the tools you need right by your side
- Colorado Angler Supply, established in 1993, is a family-owned, importer, manufacturer, and distributor of fly tying and fly fishing tools and accessories. Its products are used by millions of anglers either on the fly tying bench or in the stream.
What is a Fly Tying Kit?
A fly tying kit is a kit of tools used to tie your own flies for fly fishing. Flies are small, lightweight lures that are fairly simple to make once you learn the basics. A fly tying kit typically comes with the tools needed to make flies, a carrying case for easy transport and storage, and many come with materials to make the flies, like wire, fur, feathers, and other materials.
Fly Tying Kit Buyers Guide
Learn what to look for when buying a fly tying tool kit.
The most important factor when purchasing a fly tying kit is to look at what tools are included. The best fly tying kits should have all the tools you need to make flies, and many even include the materials for the flies themselves.
Here are the basic tools that should be in your fly tying kit:
- Fly tying vise
- Bobbin and threader
- Hackle plier
- Whip finisher
Many also include hair stackers, dubbing twisters, or other tools to make it easier to create your flies. The best fly tying kits also come with the materials to make the flies, but those can easily be purchased separately as well.
How is your fly tying kit organized? Most come in convenient carrying cases so that you can take your tying kit on your next fly fishing trip, or store it at home easily. Look for a fly tying kit with a good carrying case that has some sort of organization inside to keep the tools safely inside without letting them move around too much. Many of our favorites feature foam settings for the tools or elastic bands to hold them in place.
Does your fly tying kit of choice come with instructions? Experienced fly anglers may not need any instructions for how to create flies, but beginners certainly will. If you don’t already know how to make flies, look for a fly tying kit that comes with either written or video instructions to help you learn. Even experienced anglers can benefit from an informative manual to learn new tying patterns.
Quality is always an important factor, so look for sturdy tools made with high quality components. Materials like stainless steel are great because they are corrosion resistant and tend to last a long time.
Who makes the best fly tying tools?
There are plenty of manufactureres making great fly tying tools – all of those on our list are good options! The Orvis Fly Tying Kit is our #1 choice because Orvis is a well respected brand known for quality, and the kit is one of the most comprehensive.
Is it cheaper to tie your own flies?
Yes, it is cheaper to tie your own flies as opposed to buying them premade. Tying flies does take time, practice, and tools, however. If you only go fly fishing infrequently, it may be easier to just buy flies at a local shop. For serious fly anglers, however, it is more cost effective to make your own flies – plus, you can customize them to fit your needs.
How do I get started in fly tying?
First, make sure you have the tools and materials to make flies (if you’re here, you’re on the right track). Once you have your tools and materials, consult a guide or research fly tying techniques online. Practice makes perfect, so with some time and effort you’ll be expertly tying flies in no time.
How do you tie flies for fly fishing?
Check out this video from Jim Misiura to learn how to tie some basic flies!
Use these fly tying kits to make your own flies at home! Find all of your fly fishing gear here on Fishmasters: