Tippet connects the end of your fly line or leader to the actual fly when fly fishing. Tippet is important for fly fishing, as it presents your fly to the fish you’re trying to catch. Fly fishing tippet is an essential piece of gear for your fly line setup.
When shopping for tippet, you want to find the lightest but strongest tippet for the end of your line. We’ve compiled the best fly fishing tippet in the industry so that you can prepare for this fly fishing season.
Best Tippet for Fly Fishing
- Scientific Anglers Freshwater Nylon Fly Fishing Tippet – 3 Pack
- SF Clear Tippet Line with Holder
- Rio Brands Powerflex 5X Tippet Line
- Piscifun Fluorocarbon Fly Fishing Tippet
- KastKing Paramount Tippet Spools Fly Fishing Line
- Umpqua Nylon Fly Fishing Tippet
- Rio Fly Fishing Tippet Power Flex-Plus Tippet
- M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Fluorocarbon Fly Fishing Tippet
- Rio Fly Fishing Tippet Holder with Power Flex Tippet
- ANGLER DREAM AnglerDream 2 3 4 5 6X Tippet Line
This three pack from Scientific Anglers is a great choice for anglers who prefer nylon monofilament tippet. It comes in sizes 3X, 4X, and 5X, or 5X, 6X, and 7X. The latest from Scientific Anglers, this tippet is 35% stronger than previous versions and has greater knot strength. Each spool comes with 30 meters of line.
- Up to 35% stronger than previous material
- The highest wet-knot strength in the industry
- True-to-spec X sizes
- Length: 30-meter spools in all sizes
- Patented cutter spool design
SF Clear Tippet Line with Holder
This tippet from Sunshine Fishing comes with a tippet holder for easier tying. It comes as a three or four pack with various size options ranging from 0X to 7X, and you can choose between fluorocarbon or nylon tippet. Each spool comes with 30 meters of strong, clear fly fishing tippet.
- Length: 30M/33Yds
- Package: tippet lines
- Material: made of clear nylon, fishing tippet line high strength and light weight, is easy to replace.
- Perfectly-balanced blend of elasticity, knot strength and suppleness .
- Service: SF, dedicated to provide best quality and service for anglers who love fishing, has specialized in fishing tackle supplies 10 years. Any question, please feel free to contact us. We are honorable to support you.
Rio Brands Powerflex 5X Tippet Line
This tippet from RIO is made from a nylon copolymer, offering better knot strength, abrasion resistance, stretch, and suppleness. It comes with a 30 yard spool in size 5X, which is a good, versatile size for fly fishing. It is ideal for trout fishing.
- A high tenacity copolymer with excellent knot strength, abrasion-resistance, stretch and suppleness
- Perfect combination of elongation and strength
- The finest Nylon tippet available today
Piscifun Fluorocarbon Fly Fishing Tippet
This fluorocarbon tippet from Piscifun is 15% stronger than standard nylon line. It offers low visibility, high strength and abrasion resistance, and great knot strength. This Piscifun tippet comes in sizes ranging from 0X to 6X and each spool is 33 yards long.
- STRONG & DURABLE - 100% fluorocarbon fly tippet material - Up to 15% stronger than nylon material. Significantly more dense than nylon basically impervious to water. None of its physical properties change after a prolonged soaking without damage.
- LOW VISIBILITY - Refraction index close to water, makes this tippet nearly invisible to fish. Since the refractive index of fluorocarbon is closer to that of water than is the refractive index of nylon, fluorocarbon is theoretically the less visible material when immersed in water.
- FASTER SINK RATE - Faster sink rate for less water resistance. Helping your fly to the bottom quicker without adding extra weight, thus you get a more delicate presentation.
- EXCELLENT ABRASION RESISTANCE -The surface of fluorocarbon monofilament is harder than that of nylon, making it substantially more resistant to abrasion. For the money, you get what is over its value.
- KNOTLESS - Perfectly-balanced blend of elasticity,knot strength and suppleness.
KastKing Paramount Tippet Spools Fly Fishing Line
KastKing Paramount Tippet is made from a nylon multiplex monofilament that offers thin diameters but strong line. It is super affordable, with three 30 yard spools per pack. This tippet comes in sizes 2X -6X and is extremely abrasion resistant with great knot strength. The manufacturer recommends using this tippet for dry fly, nymph, or streamer fly fishing.
- BETTER PERFORMANCE – Paramount monofilament tippet material uses the latest technology to ensure consistency and performance in every spool. Consistently strong overall with exceptional knot and breaking strength combined with thin diameters, deliver delicate presentations and powerful hook sets.
- NYLON MULTIPLEX - Paramount tippet material is made using an ultra-thin diameter Nylon Multiplex monofilament material to ensure the thinnest possible diameters in every breaking strength.
- ABRASION RESISTENT – This highly abrasion resistant tippet material will handle demanding conditions and deliver amazing results over and over. Paramount tippet material is perfect for dry fly, nymph/indicator or streamer applications
- WIDE ASSORTMENT - Paramount tippet material is available in 30-yard spools, in 2X-6X tippet diameters and is ideal for most fishing conditions or applications.
- EXCEPTIONAL VALUE – Paramount tippet spools are packed (3 spools) per retail package of individual diameter tippet. There is also an assortment pack available that contains (5 spools), 1 spool of each tippet size, 2X-6X. KastKing is a sponsor of Trout Unlimited and we proudly support the efforts of their 300,000 members nationwide to develop and restore natural trout habitat.
Umpqua Nylon Fly Fishing Tippet
Umpqua is a well known fly fishing brand, so their tippet is highly regarded. This three pack comes with tippet in sizes 3X, 4X, and 5X, for a good versatile range. It is made with high quality nylon and comes in 30 yard spools.
Rio Fly Fishing Tippet Power Flex-Plus Tippet
Rio PowerFlex Plus tippet is made with a nylon copolymer that is 20% stronger than standard nylon tippet. This three pack comes with three 30 yard spools in sizes 4X, 5X, and 6X. It was made with trout fishing in mind, but will work for a variety of fly fishing species.
- RIO Powerflex Tippet is a high knot strength copolymer nylon tippet
- Simply put, this is the strongest, most reliable tippet ever made.
- Powerflex Plus is available in "regular" sized spools and in a useful, money-saving "3-pack" option (3 regular sized spools, conveniently packaged in a handy plastic tub)
- Features superb knot strength, stretch and suppleness to make this the finest nylon tippet for almost all trout fly fishing needs.
M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Fluorocarbon Fly Fishing Tippet
This Maxcatch Fluorocarbon tippet comes in both freshwater and saltwater options, so anglers can choose the version that fits their needs. It is made of 100% fluorocarbon and comes in sizes 0X to 6X. These spools are larger and come with 55 yards of line.
- 55 yards (50 meter) of 100% pure fluorocarbon tippet 0X to 6X (12lb to 4lb)
- High Strength and Durability - nearly a 15% increase in strength than nylon mono tippets.
- Low Visibility - Refraction index closer to water. So almost invisible to fish. Which means much more chance to catch
- Faster Sinking - with less resistance. So the nymph flies or droppers can reach the needed depth quicker for better flies presentation
- Reliable knot strength and abrasion resistance - with better elasticity still great knot strength. with harder surface for better resistant to abrasion.
Rio Fly Fishing Tippet Holder with Power Flex Tippet
This pack of tippet from Rio comes on any easy to use holder with a rotating line cutter. It comes with spools of 2X, 3X, 4X, 5X, and 6X tippet, so you’re prepared for all situations. The tippet included is Rio’s strong PowerFlex brand.
- Sold with one spool each of 2X, 3X, 4X, 5X and 6X Powerflex tippet
- Secure, spring-loaded pull for access to change spools
- Rotatable razorblade line cutter
ANGLER DREAM AnglerDream 2 3 4 5 6X Tippet Line
This pack of tippet also comes on a handy holder. It comes with 2X, 3X, 4X, 5X, and 6X nylon tippet, all of which are clear. Each spool is 50 meters long.
- Package Includes: 2 3 4 5 6X Tippet + Holder
- Material: Nylon
- Length: 50M/55Yds
- Fishing Type: Fly Fishing
- Color: Clear
What is Tippet?
Tippet is lightweight but strong line that is used to attach the end of your leader to the fly you’re casting. Since flies are smaller than traditional fishing lures, tippet is easier to tie with since it has a thinner diameter than standard line or leader. Tippet is commonly used in fly fishing because it is an extra thin line for tying your fly that won’t scare off fish when presented.
Some anglers use a tapered leader instead that goes from a heavy, thicker line and thins out. This is less efficient in the long run, however, because if you change flies you’ll have to cut your leader, so over time the cuts will lead up to the thicker, heavier section.
Tippet vs. Leader
Both tippet and leader are important to your fly fishing setup. Your fly rod and fly reel are equipped with a main fly line. The leader and tippet are attached to the end of your main fly line, and are used for casting purposes. Fly line is often brightly colored, so leader and tippet are typically clear so that the line doesn’t scare off potential bites.
Leader is tied to the fly line at the heavier end, and then the tippet is tied to the light end of the leader. Tippet is much thinner than leader, so it’s used for tying intricate knots in small flies and for a more subtle presentation underwater.
How to Choose Tippet
Your choice of tippet depends on a few factors. The main consideration when choosing tippet is the size, but you should also consider the material, the fish you’re targeting, and other environmental factors. Consider the following when choosing fly fishing tippet.
Tippet’s sizing system can be confusing for anglers. Leader and tippet are sizes through an “X” system, so their sizes are listed as #X. The larger the number before the X, the thinner the tippet. Tippet size ranges from 03X, the thickest tippet, down to 8X, the thinnest. This chart shows the size, diameter, and test strength for tippet, starting from the strongest to weakest:
When choosing your tippet size, consider the size of your fly and the size of the fish you’re targeting. The tippet needs to be strong enough to pull in the weight of the fish without breaking, so pay attention to test strength.
Fly size is also a factor when choosing tippet size. A common rule for choosing tippet size by fly size is the “divide by 3 rule”. This means that you would take your fly size, divide by three, and use that size tippet. By that logic, a size 15 fly would use a 5X tippet.
The divide by 3 method isn’t foolproof, so take those measurements with a grain of salt and consider other factors like target species and other environmental factors.
Tippet is typically made from either nylon monofilament or fluorocarbon. There are benefits to using both materials, so it often comes down to your style of fly fishing and personal preference.
Monofilament is cheaper and floats better than fluorocarbon. It has more stretch and wears down more easily, but has greater knot strength. Fluorocarbon sinks faster and is less stretchy, so it is more sensitive. It lasts longer and tangles less, but is also more expensive and has weaker knot strength.
For subsurface fly fishing, targeting big toothy fish, or in areas with weeds that might cause snagging, fluoro may work better. For surface fishing and smaller fish, monofilament is often preferred. Both work great, so if you’re new to fly fishing it may be wise to try both and see which you prefer.
Target species is an important factor when choosing any line, including tippet. If you’re fly fishing for big game like salmon or striped bass, opt for tippet ranging in size from 0X – 03X. If you’re fishing for smaller species, opt for smaller tippet from 3X – 8X.
Also consider target species as it relates to your tippet material. There are benefits to both monofilament and fluorocarbon tippet, but if you know the species you’re targeting it can better inform your decision.
Tying Tippet to Leader
Use this video from RIO Products to learn four easy knots to attach your tippet to your leader.