Many ice fishers set up tip ups, or ice fishing traps. This increases their chances of making a catch, as they can have multiple lines in the water at once. But what line should you use when you’re setting up your tip up?
Some anglers will stick to their standard ice fishing line, but there are lines made specifically for tip-up fishing. Make the most of your day on the ice by using the best possible line on your tip ups.
Top Rated Tip Up Line for Ice Fishing
We’ve found the best tip up lines for ice anglers. These lines are perfect for tip ups: they’re fast sinking and strong for quick hooksets, so your catch won’t get away.
These are the line for tip-up fishing:
- Sufix Performance V-Coat Tip Up Braid Line
- P-Line Fluoroice Clear Fishing Line
- Woodstock Tip-Up Line
- Celsius Tip Up Line
- Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon Ice Fishing Line
- Sufix Ice Magic Fishing Line
- Rapala Invisalign Ice Fluorocarbon Clear
- Berkley Trilene Micro Ice Fishing Line
- HT Polar Ice Braid
Sufix Performance V-Coat Tip Up Braid Line
Sufix Performance V-Coat Tip Up Braid Line is made specifically for tip ups, so it works great.
This line is a high tenacity polyester braid (HTP) that is extremely abrasion resistant, durable, and low stretch.
The Hydro Fusion Process gives this tip up line a fast sink rate, low memory, and great cold weather handling.
- HTPprovides exceptional abrasion resistance, durability, low stretch, and diameter-to-strength ratios
- Hydro Fusion Processensures fast sinking speed, low memory, and exceptional cold-weather handling
- 5' Metered Braid Alternating (2) high contrasting colors every 5 feet
- Exceptional Cold-Weather Handling
- Abrasion Resistant, Durability and Low Stretch
P-Line Fluoroice Clear Fishing Line
P-Line Fluoroice Clear Fishing Line is another great choice for tip ups. It is a combination copolymer line with a silicone fluorocarbon coating.
This line resists freezing and is virtually invisible underwater, so fish won’t detect the line.
With superior knot strength and low stretch, you’re sure to hook something on your tip up.
- Package length: 9.906 cm
- Package width: 8.128 cm
- Package height: 2.286 cm
- Product Type: FISHING LINE
Woodstock Tip-Up Line
Woodstock Tip-Up Line is strong and durable, made for ice fishing. This line has a vinyl coating, so it won’t be affected by freezing temperatures.
Woodstock tip-up line is black, so it’s easy to see against the ice, but you’ll want to add a leader.
With 30 pound test strength, this line is strong enough for even the largest species caught through the ice.
- Black 30 no., Vinyl Coated
- Provided by Woodstock Line
- Ice Fishing Line
Celsius Tip Up Line
Celsius Tip Up Line is another top choice for ice anglers. This tip up line is made of black, braided nylon line that doesn’t kink or freeze up, even on the coldest days.
Made specifically for tip up fishing, the low stretch, high strength line will set hooks before fish can get away. It comes in 15 or 25 pound test strength.
- 50 Yards of 25 lb braided line
- High strength and long life line with minimal stretch
- Fishing equipment ice fishing accessories lines
- Country of Origin:China
Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon Ice Fishing Line
Designed specifically for ice fishing, Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon Ice Fishing Line is perfect for your tip up.
Fluorocarbon is invisible in the water, and the thin diameter also helps with lure control.
This line stays supple in freezing conditions, and its low stretch formula improves sensitivity and hook sets.
- Low stretch formula for greater sensitivity and solid hooksets
- Thinner diameter for better lure control
- Ultimate Invisibility; The invisible fluorocarbon; Similar refractive index as water so fish can't see it
- Excellent Manageability; Lower memory for superior handling
Sufix Ice Magic Fishing Line
Sufix Ice Magic Fishing Line is an all-weather line, but it’s optimized for the ice. This line is strong and supple even in below freezing temperatures.
It’s clear, so fish are less likely to notice it in the ice. Sufix Ice Magic is monofilament, but it is strong and low-stretch enough that it works well for tip ups.
- Sufix Ice Magic is an all temperature line designed to stay manageable
- remain strong and repel water even when the temperature drops below freezing
- This makes Ice Magic an excellent choice for ice fishing.
Rapala Invisalign Ice Fluorocarbon Clear
Rapala Invisalign Ice Line is 100% fluorocarbon, which is a great choice for tip up fishing. With ultra-low visibility and hydrophobic properties, fish won’t notice this line underwater.
A low-stretch index improves hook sets, so your catch won’t get away. This line is fast sinking, strong, and sensitive.
- InvisiLine Ice Fluorocarbon 4 lb Clear
Berkley Trilene Micro Ice Fishing Line
Berkley Trilene Micro Ice Fishing Line is a premium monofilament line for tip ups. It has a lower stretch design for quick, solid hook sets.
This line is also super strong and sensitive. Made for ice fishing, it won’t freeze up even on colder days, and it maintains great control of your ice jigs and lures.
- Low stretch design for solid hook-sets
- Outstanding strength-per-diameter
- Helps to maintain better control of your jig
HT Polar Ice Braid
HT Polar Ice Braid is another solid choice for tip ups. Made for ice fishing, this braided line is durable and low-stretch for strong hook sets.
It won’t freeze, and keeps its same qualities even on freezing days. This ice fishing tip up line is black with a 20 pound test strength.
- Country Of Origin: United States
- Product Type: Fishing Line
- Item Package Dimensions: 2.54 L X 7.111 W X 7.111 H (Cm)
- Item Package Weight: 0.022 Kilograms
Tip Up Line FAQ
Not sure how to choose ice fishing tip up line? Learn more so that you can pack the right ice fishing equipment on your next winter fishing trip.
What kind of line do you use on a tip up?
You can theoretically use any ice fishing line you want on a tip up. Since tip ups are typically used for ice fishing, it’s best to pick a line that can handle the extremely cold temperatures on the ice.
Tip ups are hands-free, so your line should be chosen with that in mind. You’ll want a strong line with low stretch, so that the hook gets set in the fish’s mouth more easily.
A line with a lot of stretch might not be strong enough to set the hook properly, resulting in your catch escaping. A line that sinks quickly is also ideal, as you need the line to sink to the depth where fish are hiding.
Common choices for tip up line are either fluorocarbon or a strong braid, often reinforced with nylon. There are monofilament lines that work great for tip up fishing as well, however.
What color tip up line should I use?
Line color is a hard choice for many anglers. Clear line is great because the fish won’t see it – that’s why fluorocarbon is a common choice for leader; it has the same refractive index as water.
Attaching clear leader will fix any line-detection issues with fish. Use either fluorocarbon or clear monofilament leader on the end of your tip up line.
With a leader attached, the color of line matters less in terms of fish seeing it. Many ice fishermen prefer either dark or fluorescent line.
This is because it’s easier to see against the ice, so they can detect movement and see their line better as they’re spooling and tying it.
How do you set up a tip up line?
To set up tip up line, spool your line on the tip up spool. You should stay relatively nearby, so typically 50 to 75 yards is enough line. If your line isn’t clear, you’ll want to attach a leader before you add your bait and hook.
Tie a swivel to the end of your line, and then attach either fluorocarbon or clear monofilament leader before attaching your favorite ice lure or bait.
Final Thoughts on Ice Fishing Tip Up Line
Ice fishing is a fun way to fish year-round, but it can be rather slow. Use tip ups, with the right tip up line of course, to maximize your chances of catching fish through the ice!