Trout fishing is one of the most popular forms of fishing around the world, with anglers targeting this game fish year round. Like all species, trout are more likely to bite lures that mimic their natural prey. The best trout lures capture the attention of trout and trick them into biting. Find the top trout lures for your next fishing trip in our list below!
Top Rated Trout Lures and Spinners
Having trouble catching trout or just searching for the perfect lure? Take a look at our list of the best trout fishing lures! Find out the qualities and benefits of each lure in order to catch more fish in streams, rivers, and lakes.
These are the Best Fishing Lures for Trout
- Blue Fox Vibrax
- Panther Martin Classic Spinner
- Yakima Bait Worden’s Original Rooster Tail
- Rapala Original Floater
- Rebel Jointed Minnow
- Joe’s Flies Short Striker
- Mepps Aglia Spinner
- Acme Kastmaster
- Acme Phoebe Lure
- Berkley’s PowerBait Power Floating Trout Worm
- Luhr Jensen Krocodile
Also check out these Trout Lure Kits
Blue Fox Vibrax
Made by fishing lure manufacturer Rapala, the Blue Fox Vibrax is a top choice for catching trout. One of the best trout lures, it comes in a few different colors, and the iridescent shine is sure to attract fish. There’s a brass gear built into the lure to reduce any line twist while also creating a vibrating noise, which is another method of attracting fish to your lure.
The Vibrax is fairly heavy for a spinning lure, so be prepared. It’s best for catching species like rainbow trout in rivers and lakes, but you can still bring this lure when you’re fishing in a stream. You can find four colors on Amazon, and the double silver and double gold lures have been known to be successful for catching trout, especially rainbow trout.
Panther Martin Classic Spinner
Panther Martin is another trusted brand when it comes to fishing lures, especially for trout. With a lure like their classic spinner, you can’t go wrong. When the metal pieces clank together, the lure makes a sonic vibration sound to attract trout. Like the Blue Fox Vibrax, Panther Martin’s spinners also come in multiple colors, all of which are designed to lure in fish like trout, rainbow trout, and other species of freshwater fish.
This spinner is particularly effective in deeper bodies of water. The blades come in a few different sizes, so you can always adjust the blade size to your environment. Panther Martin makes one of the top rated trout lures, so add this to your tackle box!
Worden’s Original Rooster Tail
If you were intimidated by the color choices of the Vibrax or Panther Martin’s Classic Spinner, just wait until you see the options for Yakima Bait Worden’s Original Rooster Tail. With so many color options, it can be difficult to pick one, but you can always stick to a silver, white, or gold. It doesn’t hurt to pick up a couple extra because this is a very popular lure!
The spinning blade has a tail to it, so the lure appears as a larger food source. The sonic vibrations created by the Rooster Tail are great, and the lure itself is just right for when you’re casting or trolling. This versatility is just one of the many reasons to purchase Worden’s Original Rooster Tail for catching more trout!
Rapala Original Floater
Shaped like a minnow, Rapala’s Original Floater is another go-to choice for trout fishermen. This lure is made out of balsa wood, unlike others lures made of metal. Since it’s built from balsa wood, the lure floats on the water easily. You can use this lure for surface fishing, but it can still go a few feet deep due to its diving lip.
The Original Floater is an excellent lure to have in your toolbox since it’s able to catch trout of nearly any size. You can buy the lure in a few different sizes, depending on what size and species of trout (rainbow trout, brown trout, etc.) you hope to be catching. Rapala makes this lure in a few different colors, including ones that mimic bleeding fish. If the lure’s movement bobbing up and down didn’t already attract trout, the appearance of a bleeding minnow should do the trick.
Still the number one “go-to” lure. Whether twitched on top as a surface lure, retrieved as a shallow runner, weighted with a split shot for medium depth or bottom walked off a three-way swivel or bottom bouncer, the wounded minnow action continues to be irresistible to gamefish on every continent around the world.
Rebel Jointed Minnow
The Rebel Jointed Minnow lure is similar to Rapala’s Original Floater, but the most significant difference is this lure has two pieces to its body which makes more action. Because of its jointed body, the lure has greater movement capabilities and should attract more strikes. What better to hook a trout than a lure thrashing around in the water? The Rebel Jointed Minnow is also great for surface fishing, and it can also go two to three feet deep in the water. Try using a jointed lure when you’re fishing in smaller streams.
Rebel’s Jointed Minnow comes in basic colors like gold and silver, but Rebel offers more realistic lures as well. You can buy a lure that looks like a Tennessee Shad or Rainbow Trout. This lure also has three sets of treble hooks for maximizing your potential to land a big trout.
Joe’s Flies Short Striker
No luck with other lures? Try Joe’s Flies Short Striker! The Short Striker brings together flies with the power of a spinner. The flashing gold is sure to grab the attention of trout along with the tempting fly imitation. Although this lure doesn’t have the variety of colors as others, there’s a wide assortment of flies to choose from.
Don’t expect the Short Striker to cast quite as far as other lures. If you’re fishing in a stream with a strong current, Joe’s Flies Short Striker is an ideal choice for a lure.
Mepps Aglia Spinner
This is an in-line spinner lure, and it even has a French blade. Between the sonic vibrations and colors, Mepps Aglia is a fantastic lure for trout. Parts of the lure are made with stainless steel with a single treble hook, so it’s a strong lure for catching fish. I prefer these lures in slower waters around structure like rocks and logs.
You may know Mepps for their squirrel exchange program. To make their dressed hooks, Mepps uses squirrel tail hair. In exchange for sending them squirrel tails, you can receive lures. If you participate in this program, consider trading squirrel tails for Mepps Aglia lure.
The Acme Kastmaster is a heavy lure, so this is a lure you should have in deep water, like lakes. You can use this lure in open water or deep streams as well as to catch fish other than trout. With the Kastmaster, you’ll be impressed by its casting abilities, and it’s also great for trolling.
Although some types of trout can live in saltwater, trout are generally freshwater fish. If you enjoy saltwater fishing and trout fishing, the Kastmaster is a lure for you. Made of brass, the Kastmaster does not corrode after being used in saltwater. Because of this, the lure will keep its shining colors to appeal to fish. The Kastmaster comes in plenty of styles, some of which have frog or rainbow trout patterns.
Acme Phoebe Lure
Another great lure from Acme, the Phoebe model is a trout magnet in the water. This is a small spoon, but don’t let this fool you into thinking it’s not as effective. The lure has more detail than other spoons with etched fins and scales. It’s also curved, which gives the appearance of a full-bodied fish when moving around in the water and currents. With a variety of enticing colors, this is a perfect lure to tempt trout into taking a bite.
The movements of Acme’s Phoebe attract attention from trout, too. Since the lure is smaller, you can use it when fishing in smaller streams, but you can also take it with you in larger, deeper waters. It’s great for rainbow trout, brown trout, and more.
Berkley’s PowerBait Power Floating Trout Worm
Worms are a common bait for fishing in general, so why not use Berkley PowerBait Power Floating Trout Worm? This soft lure has many excellent qualities, including Berkley’s signature scent and flavor infused into the lure to attract fish. This is meant to keep fish on the hook, and it’s also one of the features that sets Berkley’s apart from the rest.
The wriggling movements of the worm are sure to get the attention of trout. Each worm is three inches long, and you can buy them in packs with multiple worms. Although the worms are made with high-quality materials, these lures aren’t as strong as metal. Since they’re more prone to break, it’s good to have a few extra of these with you.
Luhr Jensen Krocodile
The Luhr Jensen Krocodile is one of the best trout spoon lures available. It is a classic, tried and true with trout anglers around the world. I prefer to fish this lure on brighter days in medium speed currents on steams and rivers. Works great to catch brown trout looking to eat smaller rainbows for lunch. Try retrieving the lure with medium to fast pace for best results.
Best Trout Lure Kits
- fishing hard lure kit is metal hard sturdy fishing lure baits. Each lures are made of 3D bionic fish eyes, hard metal, comes with strong ring, sharp treble hook
- Spinners made of Stainless Steel Shaft. Brass Gear, Plastic Bead, Polished Metal Blades. Hardbaits are detailed laser painted
- Great for Bass, Trout, Perch, Panfish, Perch, even pike and salmon in freshwater like ponds, lakes, creeks, rivers and big reservoirs, and for those water filled with weeds and grass
- Length: Approximately 2 inch ~ 3.5 inch (random set) / pcs Weight: Approx. 0.1 oz ~ 0.34 oz (random set) / Pcs
- Each product is individually packaged and easy to carry
- 66PCS LURE KITS - Huge fishing lure kit including 40pcs spinners, 10pcs spoons, 10pcs swimbait, 6pcs soft lead fish lures, plus one plastic box. No redundant accessories that waste your money.
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS - Spinners made of stainless steel shaft; brass gear; plastic bead; polished metal blades. Hardbaits are detailed laser painted and softs are crafted from tear-resistance suppler silicone with flash foil inserted. All of them, even the soft lead fish lures are pre-rigged with one sharp hook.
- APPLICATION - This fishing spinners lot and lures are great for Bass, Trout, Perch, Panfish, Perch, even pike and salmon in freshwater like ponds, lakes, creeks, rivers and big reservoirs, and for those water filled with weeds and grass.
- PACKAGE - The lures' size range from 2.0inch to 3.3inch, weighted from 1/20 to 1/5 oz. Various types and shapes, fit different conditions. Life-like swimming appearance, multiple-color patterns.
- PERFECT GIFT - Fishing lures set 66PCS total comes in different colors and sizes, any avid fisherman would enjoy this lure kit! It is a great gift for fishierman.
- 【60 PCS PROFESSIONAL LURE KITS】 various vivid fishing lures and necessary accessories is designed to give you the fundamental lures to catch fish in freshwater and saltwater that provides an extremely convenient and high-quality fishing experience. Perfect for Trout, Bass, Perch, Panfish
- 【KITS INCLUDE】 Kit including 40pcs spinners, 10pcs spoons, 9pcs crankbaits, 1 pc popper. It can be combinated to serveral kind of kit for any species in anytime anywhere
- 【OUTSTANDING QUALITY】Every lure are made of high quality material. Spinners made of Stainless Steel Shaft, Brass Gear, Plastic Bead, Polished Metal Blades. Spoon are detailed laser painted and metal blades made. Every lure is armed with a high carbon steel hook to secure your catch
- 【SPECIFICATION】 Length: Approximately 2 inch ~ 3.5 inch / pcs Weight: Approx. 0.1 oz ~ 0.34 oz / Pcs
- 【CONVENIENT】Each product is individually packaged and easy to carry
- 100% Full Lure Kit: A 60 pieces HUGE quantity fishing lure kit with 5 tackle boxes that includes almost every type of lures you need. This assortment includes 40 spinner baits, 8 fishing spoon lures, 6 soft swimbaits, 5 crankbaits and 1 popper.
- Premium Components: Every lure in this kit are made from high quality components. Spinnerbaits are made with stainless steel shafts and brass body with laser painting spinner blades. Hard lures are painted with highly detailed laser coating. Soft baits are extremely life-like and made with tear-resistant silicone. Every lure is armed with a high carbon steel hook to secure your catch.
- Carefully Selected: Every color and pattern, and even the bodies and beads of lures in this set are carefully selected to ensure the highest bite rate. All lures are tested before putting them in this kit to make sure they all have irresistible swimming action to attract fishes from the depth.
- Multi-Purpose: The diversity of this fishing lure kit allow you to target many different species of fish under many different circumstances with just our kit. You can use this kit for bass, trout, walleye, panfish, perch, salmon or pike. And you can use them for both freshwater or saltwater fishing under different water situations.
- Box dimension: 7X4X0.8 inches. Spinners weighted range from 0.09oz to 0.14oz including hook. All lures are packed inside boxes so you can put them into your tackle bag and enjoy your fishing trip.
How You Catch Trout with Lures
Trout are one of the most popular freshwater game fish, so they’re a common target for anglers. In clear waters, brightly colored lures work well. Copper and brass colors work well in slightly murkier waters. In dark waters, flashing colors can effectively lure in trout.
In waters with abundant trout, drift fishing can work well; simply cast your line upstream into a heavily concentrated area, and as your lure drifts through the water column, reel in to entice trout.
In calm waters like ponds, lakes and river pools, use a slow retrieve to get a trout to strike. In faster water like rapids on streams and rivers, reel in the lures faster for more action in the water. This will get the trout fired up and chase your artificial lure.
Where To Fish for Trout
This species is found everywhere: rivers, lakes, streams, and so on. Trout prefer the cold, so in warm summer waters they’re less active. In cooler temperatures, trout are abundant and easy to catch. Look for trout in cool, slow moving waters. In the summer, look for deeper pockets or cover, and target that area to find where the trout are hiding.
You can find trout all across the United States, whether you’re looking for the best Pennsylvania trout steams or fishing in Colorado. One of the most famous states for fly fishing is Montana. The movie, A River Runs Through It, focused their story on the Blackfoot river near Missoula Montana. Trout prefer cooler waters so try fishing in Spring and Fall, so that’s the time for the best trout fishing. Limestone streams are preferred because the water stays cooler year round. Research the best fishing locations to find the best place to catch trout near you.
Different Species of Trout
There are a few different species of trout and all are targeted for recreational sport fishing. The most popular types of trout are:
- Rainbow Trout
- Brown Trout
- Brook Trout
- Lake Trout
- Tiger Trout
- Cutthroat Trout
- Dolly Varden
Best Rainbow Trout Lures
When it comes to trout and other fish, there are a few main types of lures to choose from for the best fishing experience. Spinners are one common lure for rainbow trout, and many of them are included in our list of top-rated lures, like the Blue Fox Vibrax and Panther Martin’s Classic Spinner. By utilizing a combination of bright, flashing colors and sonic vibrations, spinners entice fish to bite.
Trout Spoons like the Acme Kastmaster and Acme Phoebe are another popular kind of lure. With spoons, there’s often a curve to the lure. When a spoon lure is moving around in the water, the added curve gives it as unique movement to attract fish. Spoons come in all shapes and sizes and various colors. Like other lures, they’re smooth and gleam in the water.
Some other lures mimic small fish or worms as bait. The Rapala Original Floater, Rebel Jointed Minnow, and Berkley’s Floating Worm all do this exceptionally well. By imitating fish and worms, these lures are successful at baiting trout.
Although these are not the only types of lures for trout, all of these are popular with trout fishing enthusiasts. Before buying lures, do some research to find out what’s the best for your environment and situation.
Other Trout Fishing Equipment
This list has a variety of lures that will make your fishing trip a success! We suggest fishing for trout with an ultra light fishing rod and reel. This light action set up will give your lures the best looking movement in the water.